Scaling error in UV projection

In 2.5x, when you use ‘UV->Project from View’ from a camera view, it attempts to scale the projected UVs according to the camera image boundaries, rather than those of the 3D viewport (as 2.49 did). This is a Good Idea. Unfortunately, it doesn’t quite seem to work.

Here (from 2.57) is the view of the default cube through the default camera, with a generated grid as background image:

Note that the size of the generated image has been chosen to have exactly the same 16:9 ratio as the camera; the grid squares are square in the camera view.
And here is the result of projecting the UVs from that view:

The result is shrunk in the X direction, by (surprise, surprise) a ratio of 9/16.

Is this a bug, or is there some setting somewhere that I can tweak (once, not every time I project) to make it work right?

(No, playing with aspect ratios does not help; besides, those are only supposed to be needed for non-square pixels.)

Best wishes,
Matthew

Unwrap from view, then in the image editor create or add the image. You will see the effect in your image if you uv unwrap from view when you have an image already in the image editor. Presumably this is something to do with projecting uv coordinates (which are square) onto a non square image.

Yes, that works, since if you don’t have an image it assumes the image is square. But it only works if you don’t already have an image, so at most once (and not at all if the camera location is itself determined from the image).

Presumably this is something to do with projecting uv coordinates (which are square) onto a non square image.

Obviously. The annoying thing is that if the projection was simply done on to UV coordinates, ignoring the aspect ratio of the image, it would work perfectly. Someone has been too clever, and corrected for something that doesn’t actually need correcting for.

Best wishes,
Matthew

… and indeed if you hit F6 after unwrapping, unchecking ‘Correct Aspect’ gives you the correct aspect. Now all I need is to find some way in the Preferences of making that the default behaviour.

Best wishes,
Matthew

I’m not sure if this will work, but I think it will. Go into a new file, uncheck the Correct Aspect box and save user settings, Ctrl Alt U. This should save that setting, provided you can uncheck the Correct Aspect box without doing anything else you don’t want as default.

'Fraid not. It doesn’t even remember the setting from one unwrap to the next in the same session, let alone saving it in the startup file.

Best wishes,
Matthew