Scaling Restrictions, 3d view, and undo

In most 3d modeling programs there are scaling restrictions, like setting the sale to only be horizontal, or vertical only. How do I do this with Blender, because when I scale, it is scaled…(can’t explain.) So anyway, how can I do this?

Also where are the undo and redo buttons? There has got to be some, how do I use them?

And finally, how do you add 3d view in the window itself? Like showing when its rendered and you can voluntarily scale around the model itself in the window… not the render one, but in the actual window.[/list]

#1:Restriction: select your model (When you are not in edit mode (Press tab)) then press “s” and press the middle mouse buttun to switch vertical,horinzontal,normal mode.

#2: THere are no undo/redo buttun…one of the prob with blender

#3: press z to switch from wireframe to shaded mode (I think) If you want to see the opengl than press alt+z or shift+z

I hope that help you!

press the middle mouse button when scaling (or grabbing) after moving the mouse in the direction you want to restrict to.

Also where are the undo and redo buttons? There has got to be some, how do I use them?

When doing an outside of edit mode operation (grab, rotate, scale), press Esc to cancel it. Edit mode undo. Ukey. revert to the state before entering edit mode.

And finally, how do you add 3d view in the window itself? Like showing when its rendered and you can voluntarily scale around the model itself in the window… not the render one, but in the actual window.
uhm… I’m not sure I understand that one, but you can split a window by right clicking on its edge.

Martin

to add more views, move your mouse over the border of a window and click the middle mouse button.

But question 3 wasn’t answered correctly.

By the 3d view, I meant like a walk mode where you can freely move around the area you’ve created

press and hold the middle mouse button. drag.

Martin

There are a few ways to compensate for not having
undo in Blender.

None of them are automatic, but with practice they become second nature.

1. Save often. For big projects you can save different filenames at important stages for extra insurence.
    Keep one working copy.

2. As you work, you can add a new sceen before each major change
    ("-" button by SCE:1 at top). This allows you to keep a history of you work. If you need to go back to this button.

3. When your moving things around on the screen, right-click to
    snap back to the last position. Just do it before you left-click!

Do these things and you’ll never miss undo!

The best key-combo in software-history: F2 Numpad+ Return
F2: Save-Dialog
Numpad+: Increase filename by 1 (do it and you’ll see what I mean)
Return: Well, return (what’d expect??)

What is meant by “middle mouse?” I’m trying the scaling restrictions thing.

What is meant by “middle mouse?” I’m trying the scaling restrictions thing.

First press [s] to begin the scaling operation.
Next, move your mouse in the direction that you wish to constrain to, then press the middle mouse button to activate it. (Or Alt_Left Mouse Button cllick, if you don’t have a 3 button mouse)
You can also use the middle mouse click in grab mode [g] and for rotations [r] - frees up an extra axis degree of freedom for rotation

Regarding your “walk through mode” question, I believe what you’re looking for is referred to as “Fly mode” in Blender.

Select the camera and press NumPad 0 to switch to camera view.
Press Shift_f to start Fly mode.
Move your mouse into different quadrants on the screen to direct the viewing/movement direction.
Left Click advances (click again and again to speed up)
Middle Click regresses (click again and again to slow up or reverse)
[Esc] to quit Fly mode.

Alright thank you alot sir. There is nothing else I could possibly ask.

Well thank you everyone for the help now, this was all I needed.