SceneCity šŸ¬

Your script is really amazing !
results are really realistics, thanks to share !

about streets, perhaps it would be easier to compute sidewalks than roads ?
I mixed your popmapstreet with a brick texture (from the plugin textures) to make town with NY-like block streets. then with only the brick tex, and everything very low, equal, and large in your script one could almost obtain the pavement. irregular sidewalks could be obtained this way ?

impressive, also the streets generationā€¦

Iā€™m glad the script is useful to many people, although it is true it still needs a lot of improvement.

littleneo
, very good idea! I did not actually think about it myself. So at least you found a way to have parallel streets (NY-style as you said) using the current implementation of the script. Very nice render also. With a little bit of manual work, you could have very nice looking building blocksā€¦

Meta-Androcto, thanks for the link to the script. It looks very interesting, Iā€™ll have a look when Iā€™ve got time. Looks to me itā€™s using L-systems.

piiichan, that is some truly amazing work, and most useful, too! Just to add more to your idea, would it be possible to generate paths that fit in the street structure, so vehicle particles can be flown quick & easy for traffic? Heh, just dreaminā€™ dude. Love the thread starter pic & the detail in the buildings.

With a little bit of manual work, you could have very nice looking building blocksā€¦
this wonderful script do it for me :smiley: :

[line 227 comment, line 229 uncomment]

#createCube(vertices, faces, pos, buildingSize)
#else:
createBuilding(vertices, faces, pos, floor(buildingSize[2]*15)+1,  ..
.. [buildingSize[0], buildingSize[1], 0.05], min(3,floor(buildingSize[2]*0.5)+1)),

a must-try ! thatā€™s really really good ! just scale down a bit the default if one cpu@2Gigā€¦

I tried some modifications and obtained sidewalks, but the code is not efficient, too much faces. it should be generated through a more contrasted elevation map (threshold ? declined from the first and consider proximity of buildings, to make blocks. for the moment itā€™s either empty and huge concrete places or lot tiny skycrapers isolated with a sidewalk around itā€¦ but in some area this work perfectly.

a colour code for different elements ? streets=red, so easier to cut in blocks
another map for ground relief, for pos[2] ?

btw for materials thereā€™s a way, meanwhile, to separate roof and walls (N, S, E, W)
.generate a town
.orthographic front view, select a face in edit, SHIFT-G -> normal
this will select all the faces from one side
. assign to material or vertex group
. same thing for top and side L/R views
after one can generate a clean (giant) uv map, bake shadows etcā€¦
hope this can help.

Iā€™m really impatient to test the next update.
completely addicted to the work youā€™ve done ! Iā€™m learning a lot through it.

So at least you found a way to have parallel streets

in fact one can do everything itā€™s a texture mix. I choose a brick texture, but I could have made a png or tge (alpha layer) with black curved lines.
itā€™s only a mix of your texture with another one in the slot beyond. so one could have a red lines layer, a yellow plot layer, a green layerā€¦ up to the user to mix them.:slight_smile:

Yeah, paths for streets/sidewalks could truly make this an animators paradise.

this is a really awesome script being worked on here, best of luck to you there piiichan

Now that Iā€™ve had a chance to play around with the scriptā€¦ wow. Hereā€™s a couple of cities, set up from various procedural options. It was nice to see it works on UV images too! :smiley:

I wonder if it might be possible for the buildings to be made of anything, say, whateverā€™s in layer 2 for exampleā€¦? I havenā€™t figured out how to make those cool buildings pictured above yet though, if itā€™s in this version. Nice, nice work Piichan, and thanks for the useful tips littleneo.
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i173/bongoman_photos/1cityscript06.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i173/bongoman_photos/1cityscript10-1.jpg
Large size: http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i173/bongoman_photos/1cityscript10.jpg

1 Like

I havenā€™t figured out how to make those cool buildings pictured above yet though, if itā€™s in this version.

to obtain buildings like in #4, comment (ā€˜#ā€™) line 227 and uncomment line 229 in city.py.
please note that if piiichan leave it commented for now, there might be a good reason ( humility ? :slight_smile: )

Why not just make a city with text?
http://vimeo.com/2383091

great !!!

Grogyan picks up his mouth and wipes up drool off ground after a few minutes of OMG :smiley:

so could you tell the engine to use specific building meshes that had been created before hand? Cause over at daz3d.com if you become a member (membership is free) not only are you able to get there weekly freebie but they have these two free sets of 10 city blocks in .OBJ or .LWO

Dystopia City Blocks 001-010 Poser

Dystopia City Blocks 011-020 Poser

Dystopia City Blocks 001-010 LWO

Dystopia City Blocks 011-020 LWO

• All modeled in real-world scale blocks of 400m x 400m
  • All structures are individually surfaced for a higher level of customization
  • 24 Seamless Tiling Texture Images

just thought I would let people know, they donā€™t tell you straight up that those two free sets are there, I stumbled across them by accident. I plan on breaking the blocks up into the individual buildings/meshes for myself.

Hi, great script.

About roads, it would be great if highways can be modeled as curves(3D?).

piichan > great script!
just needed some random lights for night/dark scene :slight_smile:

hereā€™s my first test http://www.vimeo.com/2467589

piiichan,

I hope you donā€™t mind, but I was rewriting your code just to get a better understanding of it, and I thought it might be a good idea to make a gui option to create the detailed buildings. Your code does it all. I just made the option available if anyone wants this option from the GUI. Anyway, hereā€™s the link:http://www.mediafire.com/file/jmoeng1mi4z/script_city.blend
Forgive the hackish code. Iā€™m the only one that prefers a lot of short variable names, etc.

Very nice ! It would be really great if you could assign diffrent materials to the 4 faces and the top of the buildings and even better if you could prepare the UV maps for each face, letā€™s say 20 materials (or based on an entered value) and the same for UV maps, all randomly assigned.

STREET MOD
(updated 21 dec 2008 : works now without python installed.)

[link deleted. new version : http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?p=1300584&page=8]

http://jerome.le.chat.free.fr/3d/pics/SCE0.2streetmod.jpg

itā€™s a mod about streets and sidewalks. :slight_smile: itā€™s flexible I think. you can draw a street map then add it to the texture layer (see .blend). image dimension should be squared and = to the pop map size parameter for best result. you can activate the 128x128 image (deactivate the 64x64 one) then change the pop map size to 128.
this can also be a procedural texture of course.

for a better comprehension of all these new buttons, see the buttons tips and try the top view.

Download

Documentation

look piichan infos page 1 for buildings parameters.
for new buttons the best thing is to choose top view in transparent mode to see the differences. thereā€™s also tips on each button. but hereā€™s some infos :

each building height is relative to each pixel intensity of your texture. the lighter, the higher.
if the pixel intensity is less than the color threshold parameter :
. no building will be build.
. the pixel will be considered as a street if the street button is enabled.

streets button says to the script to control buildings dimension/location near streets to avoid that a building cut a street. for the moment thereā€™s no streets mesh, just an empty space.

sidewalks build sidewalks :slight_smile: can be activated without streets. sw dimensions are size multiplied by a number between 1 and factor

sidewalk methods : for each pixel, several buildings can exist (building/pixel para.)[INDENT]building/block slider ask if sidewalks should be rather around each building or rather around each block of buildings. example : 70 means thereā€™s a 70% probabilty than the sw will be build around blocks (so 30% around each building)

normal/align slider ask if the sw width are calculated rather from the building location and normal size/factor parameters (normal), or rather aligned to the pixel grid or the streets (itā€™s a little bit buggy yet when streets are disabled)
always align to street will always align sw to streets whatever the normal/align slider says.

[/INDENT]Logs :21 dec - works without python installed. corrected/added a few things. short doc (here).added 512x512 streets texture
18 dec - uploaded first version
18dec :
Piichan sorry I didnā€™t manage to contact you about that first ! but Iā€™m really fond of the way youā€™ve designed itā€¦and as I had some spare time this weekā€¦ I could resist to think about that ! I hope you wonā€™t mind about this mod and that it stays in the way you see the dev of that script. everything works the same way than in v0.1 when no mod options checked, and itā€™s build on the another_noob version.
I would be really interested in developping that script this year (materials, detailled building locations/distribution, reliefsā€¦)

have fun !

Dude, thanks a lot for sharing that! The finishing touches. Very nice work.

I am currently very busy, therefore I stopped working on the script about a month ago. However, I shall resume the development in a few weeks.

littleneo, your mod looks awesome. Thatā€™s great and useful!

Iā€™m happy the script is living by itself through all of you. Please do not hesitate to contribute and implement your own ideas.