Scenes in Blender 2.8

Hello, posting here hoping for a friendly answer.
I figured out collections and layers and I love them but what is the purpose of having different scenes in Blender 2.8?
Please explain in simple terms.
I realize that question might be trivial but… this is my question :slight_smile:
Thank you!

Scenes are like 2 files in a single one.

OK, I get that but what would de purpose of having that?

I have been wondering if people use these in production. Could be a great way to expand Blenders render pass ability but the options are to limited at the moment.

I’d be interested in learning about this too. For anyone that has access to the Blender Cloud, did the blender studio folks end up leveraging multiple scenes for their Spring assets? And what for?

Scenes in Blender 2.8 are not significantly different from Scenes in 2.7.

OK, so what are for in 2.7? :slight_smile:

Scenes in Blender 2.7 are not significantly different from Scenes in 2.6.

4 Likes

lol,lol. That explains it lol.

2 Likes

You could have what you want in different scenes, and then combine the render result of each of them in compositor. You can even combine scenes from different render engines.
You suppose that you can render a sky in Eevee much faster than in Cycles, so in one scene you can render the sky with Eevee and combine it in compositor with the rest in Cycles:
Scenes_compositing.blend (1.1 MB)

Here I have used very last Blender 2.8, you may need to download the newest one from buildbot. I used this shader in the example:
https://blenderartists.org/t/procedural-cloudscape-generation-in-cycles-now-eevee/694700

4 Likes

Wow that is higher level of things I did not get into yet but I think I understand the idea. Thank you!

Scenes are also useful in larger pipeline workflows. They’re datablocks, so you can link them across .blend files. For example, you can have each shot in a separate file (in its own scene) and then you can link all of those scenes into a master .blend file where you can edit them using the Video Sequencer.

Or you can have a base scene that you use for modeling and link the data from that scene to another scene (in the same file) that you use for lighting.

Really, the only limitation to the uses for scenes is your own imagination. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I use scenes for rendering a dynamic overlay which I composite into my nodetree. I have a linked group between the scenes so I can adjust the overlay in my main ‘render’ scene, but that overlay isn’t set to render in that scene, instead an instance in my ‘titles’ scene gets rendered, with simple emission shaders so it only takes a few samples to clean up.

here are some screenshots with notes:

And here are my compositor nodes:

This makes it easier to do things like this:

(Just rendering the overlay in the render scene wouldn’t work with the DOF, all the titles would be blurred out)

4 Likes

Hi @Fweeb Thanks for the post. What you have described is exactly what I’m trying to achieve.
I have a master scene with models and materials…
I have multiple scenes for different cameras / object arrangements / lighting…
It works but my problem is the transform of the objects is linked!

When I move one of the products in one scene, it moves in the others. Is there a way to disable the transform link and keep everything else?

Yes, that’s possible, though it’s more complicated in 2.80 than earlier versions of Blender. In 2.79 and earlier, you could create a new scene with Linked Object Data and that’s all you have to do. In 2.80 (as of writing this post at least), I don’t have a clean way of doing this, as far as I can tell*. In fact, the feature was removed. There might be a way to do this with view layers now, but sadly that commit seems to have neutered a really useful feature in its own right. :frowning:

The ugly way to do it

There is a crappy way to do this. You basically have to make a new empty scene, create a new object as a placeholder and manually link it to an object in your original scene. It works, but it’s a right pain in the butt to do. Probably could be automated a bit with an add-on, though… but I’m disappointed that it’d be necessary to do that at all.

1 Like

Thanks for the fast reply! I’ll dig into the links you’ve sent and see if I can make something work.
I do archviz from time to time and when you’ve got 16 cameras at different aspects with different lighting… one starts to look for ways to automate and optimise :slight_smile:

I’ve found a way that will work for this use case. Apologies if proxies have already been mentioned.
I saved my ‘assets’.blend
linked an object into a new empty scene from assets.blend
make proxy
delete linked
make change to asset.blend model
reload new file with proxy and the change is propagated.

2 Likes