Sci-fi military armor suit

I designed this military suit for a female character as one of the assets for my game “Project Pangea”.
Total time from concept to finished model: 4 days.
For more information on the project you are welcome to visit my website www.project-pangea.com

Some color variants of the uniform:

28 Likes

Nice… but I have impression that proportion are off. Maybe this are intentional, but for me torso… waist area are too long / stretched. Also shoulder / hips have strange proportions.

3 Likes

Hey man, thanks a lot for the feedback, I really appreciate it! :slight_smile:
I am not sure, why the proportions seem off. The shoulders are probably too wide for a female body, I slightly adjusted the width and height of the shoulder area. But for the rest of the torso…? If I compare it to reference images, it seems ok. Or am I not seeing something?

Here is a rendered view with the adjusted shoulders:

3 Likes

I see… You use stylized reference ( skinny girl ) and make little changes there and there. Well, this is my 2D habbits, for realistic or semi realistic characters I avoid this. But many people do such stuff intentionally. One my friend ( 2D only ) have similar style. He know anatomy very well, every bone, muscle, tendon, etc. He simply don’t care :slight_smile: This stylization is very obvious in his écorché drawings where anatomy details are real, but proportions are stylized. This is ok. if you are consistent, every male, female, child must have same treatment… even humanoid aliens.
PS. look on rib cage, where he ends and then add muscles like extenus obliques, fat, etc.
Anyway this is just my opinion.

2 Likes

Ok, thanks a lot for the input, I will consider it in the future. As a self-taught artist, there is often a lack of constructive criticism, so all feedback is extremely valuable to me! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I actually love this character, but I have some different thoughts on the proportions.

I thinks it’s mainly her low waistline combined with narrow hips and legs that’s causing her to look top-heavy. Your reference is stylized, and that’s not a bad thing, but if you look at the grid on the first, yours has a lower waistline (though I admit I don’t particularly like fashion croquis stylized anatomy, and am glad you gave her better thighs so she doesn’t look like she’s starved). On the second, yours has a narrower and slightly lower waist, and narrower hips and thighs.

Here’s what she looks like if we raise her waist, and if we raise and widen it:

That said, with the current anatomy, I’d still play the game and think she looks epic. She looks so awesome in your main presentation render the proportions don’t even register.

5 Likes

WOW, this is so cool and incredibly helpful. Thanks a lot for the feedback man! You are my hero. :wink:
And you are right: The proportions with the higher and wider waist look a lot better! I will probably use a lattice modifier to adjust this part of the body.

1 Like

Glad it helped. I look forward to seeing what you do with this character.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks Bart! A sunny weekend to you too. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think the higher wider waist looks best. Mind you, my age, I’m not too sure what a waist should look like.

Well done. Looks cool.

1 Like

There’s some natural variation between individuals of course, but from the references I’ve looked at, waists tend to be near the half way mark up the torso, but often a little lower - about half way between the armpit and pubic bone. Anywhere between that range should look pretty natural.

The wider waisted one is definitely a more natural human proportion (it’s actually still on the petite side of human proportions), but it’s not uncommon for artists to exaggerate that one intentionally, so I included both images in case. I definitely agree the wider one looks better though.

1 Like

Hey there, I’m a new company who is currently interested in your work and I just want to say I am in love with the stuff you have done. I was just wondering if I could use this creation and if preferably not paid. If it is ok with you. Good Day

Sincerely

FroggyGames