Scifi inktober -> 3D and paintover experiments

Hey there,

I’ve picked up Blender a few weeks ago after years of neglect, and started translating my recent inktober sketches into 3D. Experimenting a lot, this is for now about finding out a mixture of 3D and 2D techniques to create scifi illustrations, in some sort of NPR style. Tremendous fun, steep learning curve, looong way to go :slight_smile:

Here’s the current state, composited and painted on top of my render passes in Clip Studio Paint:

My current take is: model the character and any complex scenery in 3D, find the composition, set up lighting, don’t bother with materials. do everything else by painting. Once I’ve found a style I want to go for, hopefully I can do more of the setup in Blender, to enable animation and such.

If anyone has any pointers for finding the sweet spot between what to render and what to “do in post” for this sort of thing, I’m listening :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here’s the original ink sketch I started out with, FWIW:

1 Like

… aaand the current blender scene setup. The spiral thingy is just serving as an emitter for the rocks. The sculpt is pretty crappy, I didn’t want to invest too much work at this “prototyping” stage.

1 Like

The mouse is the best!

Would have liked it if the mouse was a bit more visible. Love the lighting effect, though.

2 Likes

The mouse was too cute to leave it out, but I didn’t want it to become too distracting :slight_smile:

1 Like