Scifi Matte Painting

I created this mattepainting last year as a personal project for my portfolio. I used Blender for the sculpting of the bony extrusions and limbs. The rest was painted and done in Photoshop. Any critiques are always welcomed.

-T.J. Grant
http://visualaperture.com

Beautiful work, my only critique would be that the legs of the creature don’t seem to fit with the rest of the shot. The legs don’t look like bones but rather tubes, they would not be so visible if the creature had been there long enough to have that buried look. This would look better without the legs or with the claws of the front leg jetting out of the cliff instead of draping over it. You could also have a wind blown dune effect covering parts of the legs.

Thanks for the critique. I will go back and revisit the painting. I like idea of dunes partially covering the limbs. I also thought about switching the view and showing a skeletal head in the foreground that the woman is looking at so it’s a bit more obvious what it is. That might help to eliminate the need for the limbs. What do you think? Thanks again!

Well, since you asked,lol. The fact that you didn’t show the skull and left part of the creature to our imagination is my favorite thing about this image. People should look at this and think that the woman is standing on a strange mountain range. Only after examining the image closely should anyone realize that the range is actually the remains of a creature. This image reminds me of the world worm from Larry Niven’s The Magic Goes Away.