Scifi Refinery (take 2 - Now with animation)

I felt that the original refinery image was far from finished, so i continued to do it. And after few days of extra adjusting and remodelling parts of it, here is the newere, more extented version with loads of additional detail.

Comments and stuff much apreciated. :slight_smile:

Attachments

It’s much, much better than the last one. You actually achieved more of the effect you wanted by adding the lights (creates greater contrast between light and dark).

-nick

this is really amazing. how long was the rendertime? beucase id like to see this animated. ships flying, maybe those spotlights searching. It’s really an impressive scene.

wait, i thought it was lost in space? I think it’s come a long way…all the way in fact. Good job!

Imo the ship’s engine-glow is too much (too big as well).

Other than that, it looks fine&dandy. It has some sort of catchy sci-fi cinematic vibe. But that’s strictly imho.

(maybe the fumes[?] could be a bit better - those coming from the three exhausts)

liked the theme and mode , excellent , 4.5 rounded up from me .
PS :- why don’t you make an animation out of this ? :slight_smile:
good luck .

Few minutes or so.

These two “graphical elements” were very tricky to decide how to express them. So i might have lost some objectivity on them while making :S

Well, the scene is actually designed to be “animation ready”. So it can be easily made into animation. There is landscape behind the camera and all around the station.

I am also been asked to render 360 picture “around” animation out of it, which i just might do today.

Here you can find a bit higher resolution version. Well original resolution really. http://www.dv-studios.org/blender/finished/refineryFIN.jpg

It’s a fantastic image. Brilliant.
Critique:
The rocks on the ground don’t blend well with the ground, they stick out more then they should :slight_smile: I think it may be because the rock texture is higher res then the ground texture? Also the black smoke would tend to disperse more as it rises :smiley:

Otherwise, I can’t find anything that looks out of place. Beautiful work Eradicor
~Chris

Very nice. I was going to say that the low resolution didn’t do your model justice, but you’ve addressed that by posting the second pic. Impressive stuff. The refinery itself is better than the landscape, but it should be the focus of attention so not really a problem.

Yeah, there is something very weird going on with the stones. They were supposed to look bit like the larger walls of rock, but the texture just is just acting odd with the lighting and i am not sure exactly why.

Its my first …no, second landscape really. And yeah i noticed only just now how low quality the attachment pictures are.

The second size, even though it’s not much bigger, really shows off the detail. It’s much nicer than I thought originally… in fact, an even bigger render would be only fair to do the modeling justice…:wink: (If it’s not too much trouble, that is. I feel like there’s a lot of stuff I’m missing)

Here is an 360 turnaround animation out of it. As it turns out the cloud system is working quite nicely, except that odd sudden shift. The flickering is caused propably due low AO level for the preview (i hope). Also the stones look shit in motion. So i think they need some work before going to real footage.

YOUTUBE LINK: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmnHfGm0ydM

Oooh yes, much better, very realistic.

I really like this, especially the atmostphere, composition and lighting, only thing to comment on is the ground texture looks kinda stretched, could just be me though

Well i can tell you that it cant be stretched actually. :slight_smile:

Now i am not updating the finished picture, but the scene i will improve until there is something finally to be done with it. And Chris, i agreed with the rocks and made them again. I think these ones are tons better. Also less uniform.

edit: yes i am aware of the Zblur on the shuttle. But its kinda intentional in this image, as i had to re-set some of the nodes to work on the ground and stuff properly.

I really like the atmosphere and the light, very scifi indeed. I’m not convinced by the landscape around the raffinery, at first look I thought it was a stormed sea. The landscape really needs some additional work, the scene really deserves this improvement.

Looking better.
The ground need something. What I don’t know.

exceptional use of lighting, it creates a great atmosphere.
agree with a better work for the gorund.