Scorpion Gunship (Avatar)

Been working on this for a while. It’s a heavily modified scorpion gunship - different camo, different cabin, more armour and a machine gun.

For those who’ve seen Avatar, this is essentially a heavily armoured Samson. The film version has 8 large rockets and 10 pods of small rockets, and the windscreen is also the entry point. According to my story I made up for this, Humans have arrived at Pandora 20 years later, in the middle of its winter cycle. They’ve decided to mine at the far northern reaches, where they expect little resistance and, due to Unobtainium’s magnetic properties, a LOT more mining opportunities. What they found, however, was even more dangerous creatures, extreme weather and worse. Because of this each and every vehicle was plated with heavier armour and had extra weaponry added - for example, the Scorpion had a pressurised, heated cabin added that was now entered via a hatch on the side of the vehicle, along with a 3 barreled driver-controlled machine gun on the side.

It’s not finished yet. I’d like your opinions on it so far.

http://forum.nystic.com/download/file.php?id=9745
Dec. 22

http://forum.nystic.com/download/file.php?id=9904
Jan. 01

http://forum.nystic.com/download/file.php?id=10101
As of today :eyebrowlift:

Any ideas on what to improve? I have an issue involving texture seams on the left turbine, but that’ll be easily fixed.

awesome.

This might help a bit.

Holy shit man, talk about improvements!!

It looks really mean, would love to see this with a dirt texture on!

Thanks. I might put some dirt round the bottom, but I’m going to do some research on real arctic/tundra conditions first to see how much (if any) would be there, then figure out a way to do it. The current UV map is kinda… lazily done, so It’ll have to be a second layer.

Thanks for the video Dilopho, because of that I now have… rotating rotor mounts! Can’t believe I didn’t have them before.

No problem, llamalizard :smiley:

Aaaand… It’s FINALLY time for an update!

I’m still trying to figure out a decent scene to put this in, which is harder than it sounds. Anyone here with landscape experience, how hard would it be to build an icefield with some cliffs, serious levels of snow and a frozen river? I also want it to look distinctly pandoran, so I’m trying to figure out the easiest way to make floating mountains in the background.

Attachments

Nice one!! I really enjoy the design!

You can use someimage of the floating mountains and integrate your model using that background image.

Are you using Blender 2.49 or 2.5 for the renders and modeling?.
Great work. I would like more the colors of the movie on it.

I’m using 2.49 currently - 2.5 is good, but I don’t want to use it for my largish projects.

I’ll make a version with film colours later too.

The bump map did me think it was 2.5
I also use 2.49b yet because 2.5 had no bevel and I use bevel very much. Also the cut tool and some other things make me stay in 2.49 yet.