Screen Space Global Illumination for Eevee

That’s totally your call. It wouldn’t make much sense for my scene above, and it otherwise works fine for me elsewhere. It’s pretty much an edge case situation that probably won’t hurt too many feelings if you don’t immediately address it.

1 Like

Removed by popular demand

1 Like

Majority of it should be due to this. I haven’t had the time to go over it yet, so I’m not sure what’s the extent of these changes: https://developer.blender.org/rB6842c549bb3f976fc4891d2e6f7469b3705655f5

Edit: Just skimming through it seems changes to SSR frag are pretty minor.

Putting a direct link up here only temporarily.

Direct link to builds:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nIL-bGTHaKDeS2rBOxwDNACq6BhpASZh?usp=sharing

3 Likes

Are there any problems under Win7?

Get an error message about this missing file:
api-ms-win-core-path-l1-1-0.dll

Update regarding Mac version and compatibility with newer master:
I need bit more time to go through the newest changes in master. There’s some ground work in master done for a pretty promising direction, but I want to go through it in more detail than just fixing conflicts with my changes. I have few other unrelated deadlines coming up so it will probably take a bit before I can finish this. Mac version will be delayed also due to this due to older master builds reportedly being broken on Mac.

@Metzi
I sent you a PM. I had no issues on Win 7 with earlier build, but I’ve had one report of the same issue on Win 7, but no response after initial contact.

2 Likes

Take your time. Mac user tend to be a fairly patent group as is Linux, knowing that compatibility comes after everyone else. :grinning:

Also 2.93 is supposed to have the first official ARM version of Blender being released with the other OS versions , so there’s that.

1 Like

First, thanks for this great addon. I’m using version 2.9.3 alpha and it works great. I have a little request. Is it possible to implement a function that allows the reflection of the CubeMap to be baked in every frame of an animation?

1 Like

Removed by popular demand

2 Likes

That’s because Blender 2.93 (on which the SSGI native is based) no longer support Windows 7 :frowning:
I migrated to Win10 because of it.

I have an issue with installing Molecular+ addon to SSGI native. Same with ordinary Molecular (not +). With normal blender 2.93 everything is ok. Is this a problem with my system, or with ssgi native build?

1 Like

Did you actually have contact with the Blender devs if they like it.

I mean, maybe the don’t like it ( enough ) to merge it with master when it’s ready ( or just because they have other plans ).
If that’s the case, then you are working your ass off for nothing and tons of hard work is wasted and it would be better to fully work on the addon version.

I myself love it and would like to see it in master offcourse!

@philo_vivero
I didn’t expect there to be this many changes to 2.93, currently most of it seems to be improvements and ground work for bigger changes that I’d guess would end up in 3.0. I considered moving a earlier version to 2.92 if there’s no stable builds of 2.92 for a longer period.

@Katrin_V
I wouldn’t mind looking at that, but I’m already bit overwhelmed with some essential fixes for this. Since there’s a script that works and being unfamiliar with that part of Blenders code I can’t estimate how easy a change it would be - it would make more sense at the moment to get the script working for you. I replied on the other thread, maybe I managed to covered the issue you had with getting the script to work?

@Finally_Free
That’s unfortunate regarding Win 7. I missed that news.

I’d guess it’s issue with the build since I’m not exactly matching buildbot settings and the build base versions were just generally latest build that worked good enough.

@jovlem
I’ve briefly talked with them. As far as I know Clement has some plans, but I don’t know exactly what implementation or when he would have the chance to do it. Since there’s currently no known date on that and my interest in doing this is mainly for learning purposes I don’t mind doing work that could be invalidated at random point in time as long as I get some applicable ability out of it.

It’s still an addition to SSR at the moment (mostly default duplicate extra pass) and still uses GGX for sampling. I haven’t looked at actual UE SSGI code so I’m not sure how exactly that functions and how comparable it is to SSR, but at this point I’m curious how close to ground truth modified SSR will be with appropriate sampling and filtering (and mostly disabled cone tracing).

I’d prefer to keep it as an addon, but aside from improving workarounds to get the default SSR behaving more diffuse like there’s not much I can do to improve it (scriptable shader nodes and scriptable post process stack would be nice).

3 Likes

removed by popular demand

3 Likes

I got carried away a little :grinning:

12 Likes

Thanks for your answer. I found a working script. With an adjustable delay, it allows baking per frame. I have still one question. At a certain distance, the reflections stop. It could also be the angle, I’m not sure. Is there a workflow there?

1 Like

@Katrin_V

If it’s near grazing angles it’s due to a too high threshold value in SSR shader.
(https://developer.blender.org/T85335) It’s resolved in newer versions of SSR, but I haven’t finished a updated version based on those.

The same issue I’m having trouble figuring out with current version is same one that I ran into when trying to implement additional denoising step. Solving that helps keep the SSGI aspect of it separate from SSR so there’s less compability issues over small changes and potentially additional denoising.

3 Likes

@0451 Dude! I just want to say it again… thanks. You’re doing a killer job with this fork.
Looking forward to your Mac implementation.

All three renders are lit with the same two lights with the same intensity values.

Cycles:

Eevee SSGI:

Eevee Stock:

10 Likes

This needs to be picked up by the Blender devs as fast as possible. 0451 you are breathtaking!

3 Likes

Testing viability of additional denoising step per render sample.

The performance hit isn’t as bad as I expected even with a really slow bilateral blur implementation while using high number of blur samples. To avoid splotchiness it needs to be pretty wide, which gets rid of smaller details. I’d guess instead of control over filter width it’d make more sense to have a mix control between filtered and unfiltered.

Unfiltered:

Filtered:

SSGI Off:

Unfiltered:

Filtered:

Off:

I also noticed that at least the build with filtering has a way higher noise compared to closest default SSR settings and issues with detail preservation - don’t know if that’s down to difference between VSO and AO and getting rid of some bias only partially. Either way - need to investigate it further.

I won’t have the time at the moment to finish filtering so I’ll do a patch and builds without it. Did the compability with newer master also while doing it, just need to clean everything up and remove filtering.

16 Likes

Did a Eevee render of the “Junk Shop” demo file by Alex Trevino using @0451 SSGI branch… so much bounce light goodness going on. :heart_eyes:

SSGI ON:

Stock Eevee:

6 Likes