Screen Space Global Illumination for Eevee

So amazing! This just worked as expected.
Congrats!

Glenn

12 Likes

I downloaded the Windows (native) distro from Gumroad, but itā€™s crashing if I try to bake indirect lighting (with an irradiance volume). Is this a known issue? I also donā€™t know where to find any crash logs, but if someone can point out where to find them, then Iā€™ll post those.
Steps to recreate:
Create a new Blender file
Add an irradiance volume
Switch render to EEVEE
Bake indirect lighting

I would love to be able to use baked lighting as a fallback for the SSGI. That would make a lot of the screen space limitations less noticeable, and would allow for a pipeline like: Low detail, room-scale GI from an irradiance volume, high-frequency / local reflections from SSGI.
That would potentially allow for much cheaper bakes because you donā€™t need to capture all the global illumination, but merely provide a local ambient color.

1 Like

@lolwel21
Itā€™s was an issue with the blender 2.93 alpha master that my build was based on. I appriciate the in depth description. Fix for it got added yesterday night (https://developer.blender.org/rB48167644b7e9798ed7a38ffd5f7324fd99007900). I havenā€™t updated the builds yet.

Iā€™m trying to wrap up getting it compatible with a recent Eevee refactor (https://developer.blender.org/D10390) at the moment, but It looks like I wonā€™t be able to finish it this weekend, so Iā€™ll just probably add some fixes to the current build and host patch that version somewhere.

Glad thereā€™s already a fix in the works, and youā€™re welcome for the detailed description!
As a Computer Science (and media arts) major, Iā€™ve started to learn firsthand how helpful a detailed bug report can be.
Looking forward to Native 1.1!

1 Like

Also, I assume this is a known TODO item, but I just want to confirm youā€™re aware: Shaders containing a translucent node are outputting that ā€œsomethingā€™s missing purple.ā€

Not a big deal for most scenes, since itā€™s hard to use them well, but it can be confusing if youā€™re importing someone elseā€™s scene.

1 Like

Update:
Made most of it compatible with master. Still need to do AO, but that needs a revisit anyway.
Ssr data input is a mess and needs to be redone, but Iā€™m not going to address that now.

@lolwel21
Just fixed it. Will upload the new builds when Iā€™m done finishing up the refactor compability, hopefully in the next few days if I have the time.

13 Likes

Looking forward to the native Linux build!
I Iā€™d like to ask if can we expect the Eevee DOF refactor built in your your native SSGI branch? That would be a killer combo, I think!
Grate work! Thank you!

1 Like

Amazing work with the SSGI fork.
I couldnā€™t get my reflection cube map or Irr Volumes to bake in the fork or master once a file is saved with the SSGI branch. (Windows)

Work around (for me) was to open the file in ARM version of Blender on my M1 and bake there and then come back to the SSGI fork (Windows) and renderā€¦ it worked.

Once again great job!

SSGI ON

SSGI OFF

3 Likes

Hello
I very want to try
Do you share patch for i have to build it on my gentoo linux?

1 Like

So iā€™ve been using the add-on version of SSGI for a while (LOVING IT btw), and now iā€™m trying to move my projects to the native version and iā€™m a bit confused, Do we need to remove the add-on version of SSGI in order for it to work properly? I assume so because the materials that has SSGI in them look waaay to intense

1 Like

@Irfansyah_Aryabima
Itā€™s intended to be used without the addon. The initial plan was to do just some minor extra cases for the addon to work better with a separate build, but after looking at the source it didnā€™t make much sense.

@brothermechanic
Thereā€™s a copy of the source in the /2.93/source folder in the windows download. You can just override locally until I upload a batch. Iā€™m done with a compatibility with a newer master build, but I overlooked some UV coordinates for half res trace. Iā€™ll upload a better accessible patch somewhere when Iā€™m done fixing that when I have the time for it.

@juliocargnin
Inital commit is in the first build, but IIRC without some fixes that were made afterwards. I havenā€™t had the chance to keep up with whatā€™s going on with the master, but current version is compatible with master from few days ago.

So impressive. I really hope the SSGI branch will be merged with Master soon. Itā€™ll narrow the margin between real-time rendering and traditional GI renderers.

5 Likes

Today I got to test the native SSGi version on a Windows machine and I noticed one downside in relation to the addon: There is no way to set a keyframe to the settings.

I have a project where some lights will shut off and in the Addon I could animate de settings for better sell the ideaā€¦ but in the native version that would no be possible for the time being.

Do you think that would be possible to have?
Note.: unfortunately most of the settings in the Render Properties Tab are not animatable. :roll_eyes:
I wonder why is that.

1 Like

Hey, soā€¦ the problem with SSGI is that it fails if the light goes off the screen yes?

But wait a minute, doesnā€™t Blender support 360 degree rendering?

Hint hint

1 Like

Your also have the Overscan feature on the film section. Also you can bypass 10% by typing a value there. It increases render time but it does A job!

3 Likes

I updated windows build to 1.1, but thereā€™s a issue with alpha that somehow slipped through. I donā€™t have ability to replace to gumroad file at the moment, so the broken build will be up for a bit.

Edit: Fixed.

1 Like

Ah i see, thankyou! Iā€™ll remove every material i ever added SSGI with

1 Like

This brightens things up quite a bit!

Under what conditions do you want to use SSGI?

And a small thing to report: there is no error checking if you try to Delete Lighting Cache and there is no cache.

1 Like

EEVEE doesnā€™t.

1 Like

removed by popular demand