I have been working with Sparky and Nazg-gul on their amazing sculpt baking patch. This patch allows users to bake high res sculpt data normal maps without going through the normal renderer, thus allowing you to bake much higher poly sculpt data. For example, on my 3gig system I have increased my maximum sculpt baking capability from 1.5 million polys to above 9.5 million polys. An incredible difference.
Anyway - we are requesting additional testing on this feature, and builds from graphicall builders for testing.
The basic workflow is as follows:
- Make your basemesh and UV unwrap it/make an active texture to bake to.
- Sculpt your basemesh as high as you can (using the multires modifier)
- Under the Bake tab, select sculpt bake and select the multires level you want to bake to.
- Click Bake
- Put the multires modifier to the level that you baked to and apply the normal map to the object. (or you can just delete the multires modifier if you want to apply directly to basemesh)
- Smile that you just baked a really hipoly mesh without headache.
Please post builds/comments/discussion/bugs/normalmap bake images in this thread