Sculpt Mode Breaks on Files

I’ve been having this problem for a while and I can not find a good solution and I can’t find help. Basically, when I’m on a project for a good few hours this starts to happen in sculpt mode. It’s like some weird form of masking, it happens on every brush including the mesh filter (used inflate as an example in pics). The only “solution” I could come up with is turning on auto-masking with the biases all the way down, which doesn’t help with mesh filters and the like. Second is starting a new project and reimporting everything which isn’t super practical or efficient. It’s really killing my motivation to get work done knowing that at any moment it’ll all just go to crap. Is anyone familiar? I’ll take anything. I am actually so desperate. File here.

Base
Mesh Filter Inflate

Could you say what version of blender you are using?

Blender 3.6, Steam updates it. However, I’ve been having this problem for several versions. I think I first noticed it in 3.4?

That second screenshot looks more like a graphics card/display issue than a geometry thing.

I downloaded your file and can sculpt on it with no problems.

Unfortunately, I can’t try this because I have 3.3.1 and I think there may be some stuff that is different but I thought maybe you had a a texture in the texture slot.

Yes, I adjusted the brushes with a workaround I found. If I turn off auto-masking, it behaves similarly. Try using mesh filter or a default brush, you’ll see the issue.

Ok I tried mesh filter and It did go weird.

It seems that Multires has many issues that are still not solved.

It happens to objects with no modifiers as well though, such as the hair.

Yes that thickens the plot.

I also noticed that.
Even if I apply the multires modifier on the trousers the mesh filter goes weird. (inflate)

But if I leave the multires on and inflate the trousers using the “sculpt base mesh” option in the modifier the inflate works properly. Then if I go into object mode apply the multires and go back to sculpt mode the mesh filter also works properly. :person_shrugging:

Did you use a multires modifier to create the hair and then apply it?

I will leave a note in the “Big Blender sculpt mode thread” to see if anyone there has any ideas on this and refer them to this thread. That thread is where the most “avid” sculptors hang out, hopefully someone from there can help you more than me.

i finally figured out why… I didn’t even know this menu existed for quick masks but i must’ve accidentally been bringing it up with alt-a and enabling them without realizing LMAO