Sculpting with UVs and displacements.

@HelloHiHolla
Very interesting.

Additionally, my .exr files appear mostly WHITE even at 5 Blender units [when Baking the Displace] - perhaps I’m doing something wrong?

The blender units I mentioned was rather wrong. They may be useful for AO baking map.
You’re trying to bake on a rather small plane and panel. Select both, enlarge them and (important) never forget to apply scale (ctrl+A). The larger it is the more contrasted. Don’t over do it because you may face some difficulties on fine tuning the amount of displacement.
If the map you mentioned appears completely white or something, first of all, check the orientation of the normal of the plane/face.
@CGSiino
Very nice. So you use only bumps. In this case, you need to bake AO map and use this to control coloramp or such. Never the exr-displ as it tends to colorize the surface, this is for bump normals only. The addition of the AOmap will give you the fake displacement.

Here’s another. I had lot of fun playing with a excellent new addon. (mesh_face_random_material_assigner). It helps to randomly select groups. Then, I applied inset tool (I) and started UVs.
I also added an AO map.

1 Like