Sculpting with UVs and displacements.

BTW, michalis, any chance of uploading that material?

Thanks danilius
Hey, nothing special in this material. Glossy+diffuse+texture+bumps.
No dirtmaps or such, yet.
If you mean the box mapped texture, here:

Attachments

by the way, Michalis, is this sculpt full retopologized? would you show us the wire? i’d really wanna know how is this possible :slight_smile:

Thanks, michalis.

This is beautiful. I’m gonna try this some time! thank you for sharing your experiments :slight_smile:

I just found this thread 3 days ago, I have no idea how I missed it. Great fun!!

nice shapes, nice presentation!

@stevenhorton
Very interesting. impressive shapes!
Great render, is this cycles or BI or maybe GLSL?

here is my try at the uv displacement sculpting

i made my own panel and it works wonders for me

i did a little compositing, color correction, fog, sharpen filter.

so tell me what you all think :]

Hello michalis, thanks for your great thread, and your comment:D It is a BI render, 1115 polys, 22 million with subdivision. The background it a photo of a sunrise taken in my backyard.

My days work. Started with skin modifier and continued from there.

1 Like

wow! great, spin86!

That hand picture has a great atmosphere to it, I could see it doing really well in the Blenderguru Sci-Fi contest if it was entered.

How long have you been using Blender exactly?

Great new entries!
@Ace
It seems, on this thread, we have the longest lasting Sci-Fi contest. LOL

Well, I started with basic tutorials maybe two years ago, but then never really did anything other than some very simple wallpapers. In fact, i never did any texturing until about two weeks ago because I had no clue about UV-maps etc. Then I stumbled upon the dyntopo sculpting and this here :-). Quite amazing what you can do with those displacements. I learned a lot!

By the way, concerning my hand picture: The current sphere is only placeholder. My idea was to have a glass sphere with some dirt in it and a nice (maybe even glowing) green plant.
Thing is, i don’t manage to make the glass sphere look nice, it looks rather boring. Maybe I’ll post it this evening.
What I tried is to have two glass spheres (one inside the other) to get the “glass thickness”, but it looks stupid.
Should I try boolean modifier or some fancy node setup (found something about ray-length etc for glass thickness)?

A new doodle. Loops, extrudes and bumps-AO maps only + a little Ps.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/24090090/DooMAr.jpg

Looks great michalis!
Could you maybe provide some information on the AO map you mentioned? If I understand correctly, it’s some kind of Ambiend Occlusion map-technique? Any tutorials or information what and how you did that and what effect it has? I only experimented with Bump so far (learned how to by looking at one of your material setups, so thanks :-)).

Here are a couple of Freestyle renders using this technique.

Outside:

Inside A Tentacle:

WOW.
@Atom
I mean, … wow
Eh, I can’t believe it. Speechless.

atom, great! what is freestyle render? how did you do these amazing pieces? i have seen the model in the thread, but how can you derive this “lineart”?