Sculpting with UVs and displacements.

oooh fine stuff, the freestyle_baked panel :smiley:

Danilius, thanks, below is a hd-one :slight_smile:
Michalis, thanks, i did a “tuto” explaining the stuff, don’t know if useful…

1 Like

I like this effect but I really think it would be much better used as sections of a ship or bot or whatever you may please and not the entire model itself. Using the UV sculpting for missing paneling or the under belly of a ship or maintenance sections seems like a really good idea and to me looks really cool. The only reason I say this is because it doesn’t quite match how a ship like that would be built, yes it looks interesting but after the first couple ships done completely in UV sculpt it gets a little old. Just my opinion but great work overall :slight_smile:

Thank you Kaerhon
Planar didn’t work for me though. Too messy in some topology.
On the other hand, I don’t like all this described geometry, I like something simpler.
Why don’t you try to bale the freestyle effect on the original panel?
And forget displacements. Just do extrudes and play with the UV editor. A shadeless shader (LOL, funny to call a shader shadeless) will work then.

well that’s a funny method :slight_smile:
shadeless, two matcaps for lights, and the freestyled panel as texture :slight_smile:

he he good one Kaerhon.
Anyway it’s what I do on all my last posts. No displacements at all, only bumps and AO + a little more extrudes loops insets etc.
So, why not freestyle maps? This has some advanced option involving other software. Trace this baked freestyle on a vector graphics app. I used Illustrator as I love this app. There are more. We can work on these maps by hand. More artistic results. You never know.
On this technique, it’s very easy to mark freestyle loops. In most cases, select all seams and assign them as freestyle lines.
You can also trace the whole final render and convert it to a vector graphic. More potential on this. A great way to print gigantic pixel free graphics. Pop art at its best. !

BTW, as we don’t talk about displacements, it’s very easy to draw line art on any appropriate 2d editor. Directly.

yup, that’s what i was telling myself, the drawing of the map, by hand. We should find a way to use freestyle in a way it is impossible to reproduce by hand è___é

he he we’ll see.

Great one michalis, love it! Did you enhanced in Illustrator or is it straight Freestyle?

Thanks marco
All the work plus the baking of the panel in freestyle. I’m not pleased with the result of such baking though, not yet, still learning.
Enhanced a bit in Ps, an overlay paper like just for fun.
I would like to involve some noise in rendering, toon shading. Still newbie in BI (old but newbie) lol

Nice, nice. I’m at zero level at BI, bit lazy to start :confused:

BI has node editor as well. :smiley:

Fully working or limited? That would be a nice incentive :slight_smile: Side panel is a pain for me

full working, dude. you’ve gotta try that (i’ve seen someone make a real-time half-tone material with BI nodes. and someone else make a half-real-time sss shader in it)

Full working too, lol, i mean me working
this time I had not the time to follow the development of freestyle. Search for tutorials right now, I found a few not so good ones.
Once again the same story. Reminds me the complains on cycles. But I followed the development 2 years now. Tutorials around are more or less wrong. Good luck to all of us.
You know what I’m thinking?
Publish a good official tutorial on cycles, else it doesn’t exist!
Same for toon shaders, freestyle etc.
Provocative but true.

Thanks Kaerhon / michalis.

Michalis do it, would be nice :slight_smile: A sculpting session would be also interesting. I’m also preparing stuff to record something in Blender, still don’t have not a good microphone, plus my english spoken is terrible.

Have a good NPR sculpt. Cheers

Marco, I don’t believe in recorded sculpting sessions for many reasons.
I do believe in google hangout though. If you’re interested PM.

A bit late to the party but here’s my test:

Very neat technique indeed. Thank you for sharing your creativity, Michalis.

Can you give the steps on how this can be done? It looks awesome! I can’t figure out how one would add a second displacement map…

since we are in the season of freestyle :]

heres my go at it

i do appreciate @kaerhon for the optimization process instructions

and michalis for starting the thread :]

but tell me what you think

i was going for the sketched look kinda