Sculpting with UVs and displacements.

wonderful, michalis!

Thanks doris
You gonna love what is coming under cycles.
Patience, it won’t take too long.
What about a real time full rendered turntable video? On HD format?
This is really a preview of any sculpting work.
Coming soon, in blender cinemas LOL

I’ve been wanting to try this for ages and finally had a quick chance this afternoon, it really is much much easier than it looks! Thanks for continuing to share these ideas and exploring concepts and designs. :smiley:

I’m already regretting how heavy the streaky light glare is though! Ok for a doodle though I reckons! :slight_smile:

Many thanks
Aidy.

Impressive posts Aidy!

Thanks Michalis! Have really appreciated your breakdown and explorations of this. Will be trying to wedge this sort of thing into my upcoming projects just because it’s so fun! :smiley:

Impresssive!

Great Thread Michalis!
very inspiring.
Can´t thank you enough, this technic is so much fun!
Here are a few pics of my tries:

Ok, so maybe I will show my complete ignorance on this matter, but can you bake an AO to UV in Blender Internal and apply it to a Cycles render?

If I made it right there should be an image that shows a plane with 8 UVs, all done with mixed procedural Cycles Textures. I was blown away what was possible, from a simple Dome to most playful mixtures. The node tree shows the golden panel in the front left, hope you like it:)

Right now it works only in experimental mode, I could not figure out how to make a proper F12-Render, it was flat with bumps then.

1 Like

Hello guys! I started to learn Blender like 2 weeks ago, been using Sketchup an Maya so far. Found this thread recently and got smashed by this technique. It is really awesome what u can do with simple geometry and simple (more or less) texture. Huge thanks to Michalis for sharing! Anyway, i did some first tests yesterday and thought i share it here. I used texture provided by Michalis on a very low poly object, and subdivided it till it was a bit over 9 million polys:)

heres a little sailboat:

you may have to zoom to see the bumps
i meant it for the “reflection” theme in the weekend contest, but ran out of time as i only discovered the contest on the last day :frowning:

krazyhorse:
Yes, you should be able to.
once the map is baked it is just an image.
Cycles baking is big because of the options it allows, not that you couldn’t use it before)

sry irrelevant

I see. I misread the title as ‘sculpting with UV’s and displacement’.
I’ll leave now.

Neat, FloridaJo. I did an overnight render using your scene but I animated the X on the mapping to scroll through procedural texture. 10 meters over 10 seconds was kind of fast in the final. While not really UV related it is a nice setup to play around with.

Thanks. I give credit to ulliroyal. It was his set up, and I couldn’t have done it without knowing about the ‘experimental’ setting.