Sd.Kfz.182 Pz.Kpfw.VI Ausf.B "Königstiger" (Henschel Turret)

Started this project using 2.79a as a primary DCC platform on another forum, in effect too further push my HS subd modeling skills, occasionally chipping away when either motivation or time allowed. So years later had recently decided to finalise this model by entirely implementing native workflows, basically because of the unaffordable cost associated with maintaining multiple 3rd party subscriptions.

Anyway I’ll continue to update the original thread whilst working inside one of Blender’s latest 3.3.x iteration’s here on BA, alongside hopefully outputting timely…lol (yeah right) progress toward completion.

Current object state:

Wires:

9 Likes

Really sharp looking model there. This must be the model you talked about in the Tiger 1 tank thread. Love the tracks, they look incredible. Very nicely done. Looking forward to seeing more progress! - Rich

1 Like

Thanks, spot on.

At the end of the day we’re creatives so my reasoning - why not attempt too harness that community spirit, actually probably what I needed…a veritable kick in the backside and really this old girl deserves to be prettied up, instead of left forgotten slowly moldering on some HDD : )

2 Likes

I just came upon this topic, and I loved the model, but what happened, it seems to have been forgotten about, would love to see more updates. On a side note, how did you start on the task of making tracks? I always try, but I can’t get the level of detail, or the look of gravity working on the tracks, how did you approach that?

Thank you, appreciate the kind words :+1:

Yeah, at first glance might’ve seemed abandoned however a rejected determination for an ongoing liability compensation claim I’d initially submitted in January 2022, was received shortly after I posted this project which kinda sucked oxygen outta any motivation too continue. Although in recent months through a drawn out process of appealing the decision, a final hearing scheduled for next month with everything crossed may hopefully find at long last, in my favor.

Anyway back on topic, began earlier in the new year to again work on it. At the moment modifying the geometry from an explicit subd base mesh too a mainly non destructive low poly object via Blender’s modifier stack i.e. weighted normal, bevel, edge split…etc since I intend too implement a rounded edge shader workflow whilst final output will eventually be rendered out in EEVEE.

And in answer to your question, tracks were fairly straightforward to model. Simply sketch a bezier curve representing a path the track will follow alongside a weighted bowing affect, when animated then via an array fixed number of track link once complete:

Update 1

Additional secondary hull detail front, rear and top engine deck

Current Object State:

Non destructive low poly wireframe

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for that method, I will probably use that at sone point!

1 Like

Update 2

Base mesh nearly complete, except for the MG 34 and partial engine bay interiors i.e. coolant system both radiators plus fans.

Current Object State:

2 Likes

Bit more progress, a kind of previz/concept non UV mesh using the EEVEE -Cycles Materials and Texture system addon in the material shading viewport to further explore a personal all-in-one asset generation pipeline.

Update 3

Current Object State:

2 Likes

Looking great, may I suggest that you add weight to the tracks because it is very visible, and looks as if the tank is floating, also, what gun is it, the german long 88?

@JWC

Thanks for your feedback, I’ll definitely revisit those tracks once I’ve an idea of the final scene composition and yes indeed it’s the long barrelled (71 calibre) 8.8 cm KwK 43 anti-tank cannon.

1 Like