Sd. Kfz. 251

Latest render

Just started making a model of a Sd.Kfz 251 Half-track.

So here is one hour into the project.

I will be watching this thread seriously. Every work related to technique from ww 2 has my attention. I think you should try short cut ALT N to get rid of the few visible triangle faces in render. :slight_smile:

I will try to update as much as I can.

After 4 hours, this is the result. As a side note, a lot of things here I have never done before, so a lot of experimenting, like the tires. Never ever done a tire.

looks cool so far… I always loved this particular design because of the way the Rear doors work…

Thanks!

Progress. Managed to lay some tracks on this thing.

7 hours later. Not all time spent modelling, I’m doing research at the same time, finding good reference photos.

The MG42 I made about 6 months ago, so that came in handy.

Don’t count out good pics of high quality plastic models there are tons of them on the internet…

I agree. I’m looking at a lot of plastic model pics when working on this.

Actually, iam plastic modeller, but i have never done any Sonderkraftfahrzeug before, but I will give it a try. Looks interesting. :slight_smile: Sometimes, it would help if I could change few parts in my 3D model for the one on my plastic model. I never liked doing hull of the ship, etc… :smiley:

Yea, I’ve done quite a few 3D ships, and the hulls are a pain to get right.

Begun working on those doors. They sure are interesting. Also begun with the interior, added benches and floor.

Model is good, but i think that the tracks doesnt fit to this model. I would recommend these tracks http://www.sdkfz251.com/images/sdkfz251_conversion.JPG

Agreed about the tracks. Something along these lines?

This is where I am 11 hours in. Time for the details, pretty happy with the base.

I am not a texture artist. Frankly, I hate doing textures. I love to model, not paint.

Looks fantastic! Super modeling and the textures are good. Those tracks are captivating :eek: I’m curious, are you using the subsurf modifier on the main body?

@coolfield7: No, no subsurf on the main body.

Slowly starting to look a little better with some actual textures.