Seam Removal

Made this tutorial at the request of someone on the CGS forums . . . for removing texture seams using Multi-UVs and Render Baking.

It’s my first, so don’t expect too much!

Edit 11-20-07: The original link has been removed, because this tutorial was included in BlenderArt magazine issue #12, which can be downloaded from the page below.

http://www.blenderart.org/issues

That’s a nice and useful tutorial! Thanks for sharing.

Cire: This is excellent work, very clear and concise. I was just in the process of writing up this exact topic, but you’ve done a much better job than I could have.

I’ve had a small problem with this technique in 2.44 + Win2000/XP. I can’t bake across multiple UV sets unless I save the first UV mapped image to disk. Once that’s done, everything works just fine. Have you run into this problem? I’ve also been trying to work out how to remap just the seams to make a “patch” as in this 3dsMax tutorial, but no go because the whole image gets mapped. I’m sure there’s some blending method we could use between the two textures but it hasn’t hit me yet.

I’d like to include this tutorial or a link to it in the Wiki. Please PM so we can discuss.

Thanks guys!

Note: The tutorial has been updated after fixing some typos.

CD38:

As I mention in the tutorial, there is a Render Bake bug in 2.44 (I’m on XP, btw). But for me, it doesn’t matter whether the first map has been saved or not. And by my understanding of the feature, it wouldn’t work without saving the first map anyway (image needs to be written to disk, to be read and then rendered).

I looked at that Max tutorial . . . just remapping the area of the seam and blending that with the original map may be more efficient. It would probably also help in avoiding any stretching in other parts of the texture. When I have the time, I’ll experiment with this method.

Feel free to include/link the tutorial . . . but I may have to find somewhere else to host the file, especially if it might get downloaded a lot (it’s on my employer’s company website right now).

Very nice…thanks for sharing…

thanks Cire, i used this technique, but had to install blender 2.43 to get it to work properly. Very useful! Nice style to with the pdf!
keep it up
(if you care, here’s what i did: http://uploader.polorix.net//files/594/diver%20uvNoprob!.JPG

Very useful, just what I was looking for. Though, I wish there was a way to use 2.44 for this. That bug needs to be fixed!

lol

The link seams dead? What happend? Was the tutorial pulled down for some reason?

@Cire and venar: Please describe your 2.44 bug in detail. Include description of your system (OS, Blender build), what you’re trying to bake, and what specifically happens when you try to bake. I now have no problems with render baking in 2.44 in Win2000, XP, or Vista. If I can reproduce the bugs, I’ll use your comments to update the Baking wiki page.

Thanks!

nevermind, i got it working. sorry, i think when i saw someone say it didn’t work in this version i got discouraged and gave up quicker than i should have!
(btw, i’m running a modified version of the img browser branch)

Is there a mirror to the pdf?

here you go
http://uploader.polorix.net//files/594/SeamTutorial.pdf

Thanks for the positive comments everyone . . . I’m glad it’s understandable & useful.

tedi: I don’t know why you’re having problems. I just checked, and the PDF loads fine in the latest versions FF and IE. Have you tried right-clicking to save the file to disk?

CD38: It’s hard to describe . . . I’ve seen different results, in different files, and it’s very inconsistent. I’ve also used various builds along the way, which makes it hard to pinpoint (I do know that I’ve experienced problems with even the official build). With the 2.45 bug-fix release on the way, I’m hoping it won’t be an issue. As for noting it in the wiki, maybe something like I put in the tutorial will suffice?

BTW: my signature contains my system specs.

Checked again and downloaded it normally now.

The site wasn’t available here for an hour and a half ~ something. Looks like it was a false alarm after all.

Great tutorial.:wink: