Search hotkeys

First I’ll say that I was quite sceptic when I was the test forum in blendernation, but now it appears considerably better, and I’m sure it will be better in the future.

As for issues, the standard ctrl+f search shortcut seems mapped (hijacked) to the forum’s internal search. If the feature remains enabled many will have to write/install a userscript/extension. I thought there may exist a setting but couldn’t find any.

That won’t change. The mapping is: / key - search within Discourse, or CTRL+F (CMD+F) to use the browser search on the current page.

To see all Discourse hotkeys, press ?

The mapping appears to be as you wrote now, but it wasn’t just some minutes ago when I was using it in the thread: Blender 2.8 development thread - #4190 by icyou520. Do note that at this time of writing, within that linked thread, the ctrl+f shortcut is still mapped to the forum’s internal search. I will right now update to see if the change is global or local to some/that thread(s)… done, and I can tell you that the mapping (hijack) is still strong in that linked thread. That’s quite weird.

The search function has to be hijacked because not the entire thread is loaded into the document all the time. This is necessary because web technology is basically a joke that went too far.

As far as I can tell, if the whole thread still fits into a certain bound, the browser internal search is used, hence the confusing behavior.

2 Likes

Well I know that, and in fact I really hate, for more reasons than one, the “infinite scroll” feature that many sites started to implement. I indeed did presume the reason for the hijack was the infinite scroll, but didn’t think about why it was all of a sudden disabled in certain threads. Indeed that is confusing since it’s so counterintuitive.

I disable the infinite scroll feature wherever possible. But whether this software supports page-based view or not, I don’t expect “ctrl+f” to be hijacked, especially when there is a dedicated “/” keymap (and obviously the GUI button) for that. If this is the default discord setting and there is not even an admin setting for that, then I’m even more confused.

Now if there was a standard that allowed pages to “hijack” the browser builtin search interface, and browsers would provide user override (who knows, some sites could potentially truly hijack the keymap for other purpose), then that would make actual sense.

The “/” key shortcut is for searching in the whole forum, it’s not the same as CTRL+F, which searches only in the thread.

Having native CTRL+F search only in the currently loaded content would be even more confusing. (Always) hijacking the shortcut is the best option until there is a Web API for this.

For what it’s worth, I strongly prefer scrolling over pagination with only twenty posts per page, but that’s a matter of taste. In a better world, humans would have invented technology to efficiently load hundreds of pages of formatted text at once, but we went for HTML and CSS instead…

1 Like

@BeerBaron

The “/” key shortcut is for searching in the whole forum

So the slash means “search from the root”, interesting. But:

, it’s not the same as CTRL+F, which searches only in the thread.

Having native CTRL+F search only in the currently loaded content would be even more confusing.

Not to those that are used to the behavior. I know full well that browser’s built-in search searches in present DOM text. It’s not that I rather use the browser’s search over the site’s when in inifinte scroll, but that I rather see the search field looking and positioned how and where I expect it, when I instinctively use the keymap. I always use the search GUI button always in threads anyway, whether traditional, or infinite scroll ones. As I wrote if there existed a standard (API) and the browser provided setting for user to override, that would make alot of sense. The feature is nice, just not the presentation, as it stands.

(Always) hijacking the shortcut is the best option until there is a Web API for this.

Not for me. I’ll just write a script soon as I prefer to get less confused.

For what it’s worth, I strongly prefer scrolling over pagination with only twenty posts per page, but that’s a matter of taste.

It is.

It hijacks on Firefox when you aren’t focused on the forum body… Try clicking on the side the press ctrl F. otherwise (when focused on the forum it works fine)

This might help:

https://twitter.com/jmfd/status/993634337688989696

https://twitter.com/discourse/status/993603477606563840

2 Likes

Ctrl F twice works here on Firefox. Thanks.

All !

Yes, I stumbled upon “double ctrl+f” after my initial (or so) comment, but didn’t write anything here because it’s not a transparent experience (like the in-page search field). Still better with a userscript in that regard.
Anyway, not that of a big deal. while I have a script now, I’ll just try to get used to the forum behavior. Thanks.

1 Like