Seashore hermit crab (finished)

Hi!

I’ve been working on this thing for the last three days and I’m pretty much finished, I don’t really know how I can make it better so that’s why I want some feedback on it before I post it officially.

I tried to make the scene as simple as possible so that it doesn’t turn into a long running project, I think the sand particles gives it the complexity it needs without needing to overflow the scene with complex models. I think I overdid the lens flare effect so I might want to tune it down a bit, same with the exposure.

The left shell is a model I grabbed from blendswap, rest is modeled by me. https://www.blendswap.com/blends/view/68189

Final render with post effects in Photoshop:

Raw render:

Crab closeup:

Here are some screen dumps of the hermit crab. I didn’t spend too much time on the details because its a small part of the main render, instead I focused on texturing it in substance painter:

5 Likes

That’s very cute and well-made.
I’m personally ok with the lens flare and the exposure.
The only thing I would criticize is the contrast between the realism of most of the scene elements and the cartoony looking grass strand. I know it’s in the background but to me it still looks too simple and straight among these complex models. It should stay blurred for sure but I would try something more irregular.
Having a search at beach plant may give you some interesting ideas.

Thanks!
I added some variations to the grass, making it more natural and uneven. It really made a difference, since it does not take much space in the picture anymore, you focus more on the crab instead of the grass.

Here is the update:

1 Like

Great ! I prefer it this way too.

1 Like

Great! And pretty much complete and done, in my estimation :slight_smile:

One thing - and this is merely a matter of personal preference - that I might suggest is to tighten up the composition.

The left and lower portions of the image being so out of focus take up quite a bit of room.

Perhaps this is to emphasize the smallness of the creature and the sand particles, but I think the same could very well be achieved without such potentially extraneous space, as in this quickly cropped example:

This, I think, allows us to focus on the primary subject of the image without drawing disproportionate, if not undue attention to the focal aspects and environment.

Hope to see this in Finished Projects soon!

I believe this is so well done as to have an excellent chance of being in the Featured Row.

Thanks, I really appreciate it!

Here is a render with the alternative composition. I think its better now that there is less of the blurry parts. I might move the grass a bit but I think its fine.

I think its pretty much done at this point, I think I could have pushed the sand grains more in terms of variations in the grain, maybe added some plastic parts, small metal pieces etc. But I’m quite satisfied as it is in terms of keeping it as a short fun project.

1 Like

Perfect!

I wouldn’t change anything else =)

Hoping to see this in Finished Projects (and hopefully the Featured Row) very soon!

1 Like

how did you do the sand?

Thanks!

I used procedural modelling to create the individual sand grains, the texture coordinates are based on the location of the object so when I move the stone it will create a new shape, I used 12 variations in the final scene:
Pensel

I also made a few material variations for stones, glass etc. Then I randomized the materials so that each stone would be unique. In the end I distributed them in a particle system :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Jarek_GF_really cool thing with the sand,
Have you tried animating the scene ?
Maybe something like the crab sliding down the sand pile ?
The shot has really nice, funny mood

PS. of course you can test our farm for final renders…