Selecting vertices without selecting edges between them

I am new to Blender. I wonder how can I select vertices without selecting edges between them.
Ok, I know that it is possible to manually deselect edges, but this is annoying. Is there a way to turn off this behaviour? …and I am asking the same for selecting edges of a poly without selecting poly itself.

You must be holding down Ctrl to select multiple vertices. Use Shift instead to select only what you are clicking.

I know how to select multiple vertices. The queston is how to select vertices but not edges connecting them.

You need to get used to Blender to appreciate it, other programs make a clear distinctions between verts and edges. Blender does not do it for a lot of reasons.

If your vertex selection completes an edge, it will highlight the edge, if it completes a face, Blender will also highlight the face, which works for edges to polygons fashion too.

There might be a way to dim or disable the edge highlighting however I suspect that will also affect the actual edge selections as well.

Hm… Interesting. I think it is a design failure not to clearly distinguish sub-object types, it can lead to chaos. For example extruding a vertex creates an “orphan” edge, but extruding an edge creates a polygon. I am coming from 3DS Max, so these ambigous sub-objects in Blender make me sick.

1 Like

Blender allows you to select vertices without selecting edges/faces but only from a python level using bmesh… the default behavior of the blender selection box is to also select edges and faces if the selection forms edge(s) or face(s).

It did take me a while to get used to this as well, and I’m not 100% sure if this is good or bad. It’s certainly confusing, but I haven’t found an instance where it was extremely limited. Maybe my experience here is limited.

2 Likes

There are no orphan edges in Blender, those are first class topology components. In fact they are extremely useful. You can make a whole mesh only with vertices or edges without polygons/faces, that is totally allowed in Blender. And that is by design, it is not a shortcoming.

so these ambigous sub-objects in Blender make me sick.

They are ambigous only to you. You are jumping to conclusion without enough experience with the tool.

2 Likes

Well, the obvious question (to my way of thinking) is: What are you trying to accomplish that would necessitate doing things this way? I’ve been trying to work it out, but I’m just not getting it. If you’re moving multiple vertices, wouldn’t you want the lines between them to move as well? Same for extruding, scaling, etc. I would think.

I don’t know what you need to do ! But I may present you the possible of your problems
The solving of your question is
"NO ! there no way if you choose vertices that connect the edge probably not to diselect it "
Think of when you hold the log at the end of each side you can’t negative the middle of that log.

1. You need only vetices at that place
    answer is duplicate it and press ‘X’ , then choose “only edges & face”
  2. You need to add vertices at that between them without effect polygon
    answer is press ‘K’ to cut then press “Enter”
1 Like