Selection not work properly in certain workspace [Blender 2.81]

In the latest builds of Blender 2.81 I got an issue with face selection. After some tests, I found that selection not working on my workspace, but works in other default workspaces, like modeling. Maybe somebody knows which setting might cause this behavior?

Video:

can you send a file with your workspace?

Here: WorkspaceSelectionIssue.blend (4.1 MB)

works for me

no idea what can be the problem here

The worst thing is that I have the same issue on two different PC with different hardware. I have no such issue with Blender 2.81 released at 15.08.19 or Blender 2.80/2.79 but have issue with latest versions of Blender 2.81. Looks like I have to remake my workspace from scratch to fix that by duplicating “Modeling” workspace.

Okay I tried the newest 2.81 and have the same issue as you.
you can report a bug, but If I were you I would just redo the workspace from scratch

I had similar issues a few month ago and for me just restarting blender fix it but it always came back and then re starting Blender fix it.

I try all the thing related to selection in preferences like zdepth picking etc and nothing seem to fix it.

Remaking workspace from scratch fixed an issue.

i just installed 2.81.16 a few days ago and was about to search for this problem. In most cases the selection (no matter if vertex, face or edge) does not work. I have not changed many viewport settings yet (just face midpoints) and do not installed addons, so it’s a somewhat default installation. It’s either a broken OpenGL Depth Picking or something similar. This happens in both Layout and Modeling Workspaces. Switching between them or tabbing into edit mode just fixes the problem for a few clicks and stops working again without any reason.

In 2.79, i remember similar behaviour for very close zoom’s with high poly models. You had to hit exactly the face midpoint or a vertex for the correct selection. But for 2.81 hitting any of the gizmos accuratly does not select it.

Check the following thread. In a post by Cirno he explains something about bugged workspaces causing crashes when doing undo. Perhaps the problem is related:

Nothing crashes and 2.81.16 is not affected. Selection behaviour changes depending on the zoom, so i still blame depth picking.