Selection problem with hidden vertices.

I keep accidentally selecting hidden vertices even though the “limit selection to visible” is on and I can’t seem to find an answer as to why. I’m wondering if this is normal behavior and Blender is just imprecise like this or there’s some setting to fix it or I’m doing something wrong or what. It only seems to happen in really tight areas like the eyelid fold and the ear. If I zoom in the problem is lessened but then I can’t see what I’m doing.

Sometimes the wireframe actually shows through when it shouldn’t and I keep selecting vertices from that, but sometimes the wireframe is properly hidden and I select a point that isn’t even visible. It wasn’t so bad around the eye lid fold but the ear was a nightmare.

I’ve tried scaling the head bigger, changing the view (texture, solid, etc) and also closing the mesh but neither helped. I thought perhaps it might be the subsurf modifier and I was accidentally crossing vertices because the wireframe was set to wrap to the modifier but it happens even with the modifier applied and nothing overlapping.I keep accidentally selecting hidden vertices even though the “limit selection to visible” is on and I can’t seem to find an answer as to why. I’m wondering if this is normal behavior and Blender is just imprecise like this or there’s some setting to fix it or I’m doing something wrong or what. It only seems to happen in really tight areas like the eyelid fold and the ear. If I zoom in the problem is lessened but then I can’t see what I’m doing.

Sometimes the wireframe actually shows through when it shouldn’t and I keep selecting vertices from that, but sometimes the wireframe is properly hidden and I select a point that isn’t even visible. It wasn’t so bad around the eye lid fold but the ear was a nightmare.

I’ve tried scaling the head bigger, changing the view (texture, solid, etc) and also closing the mesh but neither helped. I thought perhaps it might be the subsurf modifier and I was accidentally crossing vertices because the wireframe was set to wrap to the modifier but it happens even with the modifier applied and nothing overlapping.

you could maybe set the clipping of viewport to a realy low value. that helps if hidden geometry apears when zooming in. For realy close and dense mesh editing i usualy select faces that need to be edited an hit “shift+h”. that way it is more clear what you are working on. hope it helps a bit.

Try changing the selection method in user preferences -> system.