Self Portrait (Now with hairy apeman dude)

Kewl :slight_smile: Thanks SpindleRift.

JohnsonGetDown: Hereā€™s an unrap (resolution on both greatly reduced) showing the different sections, I changed the hue on each layer, with each layer being a cut-out from a reference photo. In fact I also duplicated some layers and flipped them to the other side just so I can get an better idea of positioning. Also note that I did a fair amount of cloning between the sections on the nose.

Basically I tried to take photos of my face from different angles, and then the flattest bit in the photo gets cut-out and used as a texture. Also I baked the normals onto the unrap to get a better idea of what Iā€™m looking at.

Tonight before I continue Iā€™m gonna quick-draw outlines, things like beard-line, hairline, and different sections just so itā€™s easier to position everything, even though one can go by the edges of the unrap its not always that easy, so it will help.

Hope this helps a wee bit. :o

Keep in mind that this is still VERY VERY rough guys, it will probably look completely different when Iā€™m done.

Attachments

looks very good so far!
how did u go about making the bump map?
great job wrapping the textures.

Thanks Jason :o I used the diffuse map, converted it to Grayscale, adjusted the levels to a heavy contrast and inverted it. Then I painted black over the freckles so that they donā€™t bump with the rest of the skin.

Iā€™ll probably have to make a seperate bump for the eyebrows and sideburns so they donā€™t indent but rather raise off the skin

wow, this is a very very interesting project. for my own project iā€™ve been working on a face and itā€™s really not been turning out the way i wanted. i have no crits for yours. but do you mind helping me out a little? maybe pointing me the right direction? send me a PM if youā€™re interested :slight_smile:

will definitely check back here, very good job!

Hey thanks Noidtluom, Iā€™m keen to help any way I can hey. But be warned though ā€¦ Iā€™m still rather new to Blender. :smiley:

It looks REALLY awsome! Verry well done there! Iā€™m sorry for bothering you so much with my texture bullsh*t.
How many pictures did you take? Or did someone else take the pictures? :rolleyes: Iā€™m (to be honest) not really a big fan of UV mapping. Itā€™s kinda too complicated for me for now. :eek: But Iā€™m sure I will get into it sometimeā€¦But I doubt I would try using my faceā€¦kinda 2 young for what Iā€™d like to modelā€¦:stuck_out_tongue:
It REALLY helps though that I can see how you did itā€¦That hue and sat stuff REALLY helped understand. Thanks

Ceep up the good work!

Take care,
JohnsonGetDown

texturing looks fantastic! Love it. What material is that on the face, me thinks I see some SSS?

JohnsonGetDown: No problem at all dude. :stuck_out_tongue: I took about 56 photos, but Iā€™ll only end up using a small portion of these though. I had my camera on a tripod set quite high at just under eye-level and then just took the photos myself. It was very hit-and-miss though and I trashed quite a few as I went. I still need to take a few more, some of the pics I need came out too blurry.

Hereā€™s some of the pics I took, and I marked on them as an example of sections I used, once again these are reduced in size.

You must give it a try sometime JohnsonGetDown, it is a bit intimidating at first, but unfortunately itā€™s one of those things where one just need to get down and do it without thinking about it too much. :stuck_out_tongue:

Framedworld: Thanks man, aye, on my previous renders the first one had SSS and the second one was without.

>> Hereā€™s another render, in this one I reduced the texture map to 2000px to see how it would render, itā€™s not too bad, but I canā€™t go in too much closer as it then starts distorting and losing quality. The texture map on my previous renders were 4000px, and the photoshop file Iā€™m working on is 8000px (my original exported size). Yeh itā€™s huge. The layered file is standing on 450mb at the moment when opened. :evilgrin:

Thanks for your comments guys!

Attachments

i cant C&C that is to good to tell if thereā€™s something wrong ;p
woha 450mb wont you flatten layers ?

Yes pretty cool modeling and texturing.
Greate works.

Canā€™t you remove hairs and specular from the texture to add them in render directly calculated by blender ?

Thanks for the pics! Usefull info.
Yeah Iā€™ll get down to it with time. But first off, I need to improve my modelling skills. Checking out soft bodies, nodes, particle (hair in particular, Iā€™m pretty good on effects) at the moment. :smiley: And I havenā€™t really played arround enough with sculpt tool yet. :no:

migero: Thanks hey, Iā€™ll probably merge some layers at a later stage, at the moment I still ned them to adjust and match up everything.

CyaNn: Thanks man. I donā€™t know how to use particles yet, but I intend to use some on the strip of beard on my chin. However Iā€™ll add all the hair needed on the texture itself and probably add some particle hair on top of it and see how it comes out. Iā€™ll create a separate bumpmap for the hair. Iā€™ve got a seperate specular image, I just need to adjust it properly, itā€™s still very rough at the moment plus I think Iā€™m doing something wrong because the specular isnā€™t limited to where I intended it, itā€™s probaly just a setting somewhere which I didnā€™t toggle or something.

Hehe, yeh, I havenā€™t got any idea how any of those work yet. It takes so much time to learn all these things.

NO KIDDING?! Holly! Haha! I thaught u basically knew every little piece of blender! :smiley: Aww well! Ur still doing a GREAT job! :wink:

Hehe, Iā€™m still very new to Blender hey. Thanks man.

Hereā€™s an update guys. Worked all night only had 2 hours sleep YAWN. I redid the mouth and area between the mouth and nose, also worked some more on the overall texture, cleaning up etc, blending, cloning yada yada etc, and added the chin and jawline. Still busy with dem eyebrows, looks quite funny right now.

Thanks for looking guys :smiley:

Attachments

Looks really hot! Althoughā€¦yes. I agree the eyebrows areā€¦eeehā€¦odd. :rolleyes: Maybe the eyes are too high? Iā€™m not sure.
Ow. Lord! Idea. Iā€™ll check the photos u attatched of the ā€œrealā€ you. Iā€™ll edit this and if I get to see what the prob is.

EDIT
Nope! The eyebrows seam to be pretty much alikeā€¦I guess itā€™s just youā€™re own style :). Just as my nose would look ā€œwierdā€ on a modelā€¦and in real life :o

:smiley: thanks hey, the eyebow texture itself is not placed and textured properly yet thatā€™s why it still looks odd, it got too late (or shall I say early) and I was too tired to fix it :o

Excellent work, I usually donā€™t care much for photo texturing, but you did it so there is no specular showing from the camera.

wish I could texture like that :slight_smile:

Thanks Mmph!

Hereā€™s just a quick update, Iā€™ve hardly had any time to work on it during the past week. Iā€™m still busy working on the textures around the eyes, eyebags, wrinkles, lighting etc etc.

Keep well guys
Len

Attachments

:eek:
Thatā€™s photo realism man! Though the eyebrows look like they were operated there :smiley: And you need a background. But Iā€™m sure you know that. Itā€™s not done yet I knowā€¦Good job! Canā€™t wait to see the end! :yes: