Serious crashes and no menu/button icons

I’ve spent the last day or so trying to get blender working in my fresh install of slackware, but I keep getting the same result: After entering Edit Mode, or playing with menus, X locks up completely, and I’m forced to hard reboot. I seem to be able to move around nicely in Object Mode.

Also, none of the menus or buttons have any icons attached to them. I can make do with them missing on the menus, but not having the icons on buttons like vertex/edge/face select is rough.

Here’s a screenshot: http://coffeebot.net/files/screencaps/blender.jpg

My stderr, after running less than a minute has almost 900 lines of the following:

FGLTexMgr: open of shared memory object failed (Function not implemented)
__FGLTexMgrCreateObject: __FGLTexMgrSHMmalloc failed!!!

Somehow, I’m guessing that all of this is related. I’ve tried using the 2.4 and 2.7 pre-compiled versions, as well as compiling the 2.7 source. I haven’t tried CVS yet. All three yield the same issues and error.

I’ve used blender for a while now, in Fedora 4, and it’s never acted like this before. Am I missing a dependency somewhere?

System Specs:
Slackware Linux 10.2
Kernel version 2.4.31
P4 3.0GHz
512 MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9600 Mobility (64MB)

You do know about the problems with ATI and OpenGL.

Check the sticky on common problems

nykysle, it wasn’t the GL stuff (which I had tried before) – thanks for the attempt, though :slight_smile:

Turns out there’s an obscure requirement for the ATI drivers to have a tmpfs mounted on /dev/shm. I think the more popular point-and-click distros do this automatically, so it’s generally not an issue.

So, for anyone else who might have the same issue, here’s the fix:

Add to /etc/fstab:

tmpfs     /dev/shm           tmpfs        defaults            0 0

and then

mount /dev/shm