Seriously amazing physics simulations!

I vaguely remember this being mentioned somewhere earlier when discussing about blender simulation capabilities but I thought to post this again.

This page has some of the most outstanding CG physics simulations I have ever seen demonstrated anywhere. Including fluid, rigid- and soft body and gaseous (smoke & fire) simulations, these videos are worth watching.

Check it out: http://graphics.stanford.edu/~fedkiw/

Edit: As those videos are annoyingly big here are some of the best videos in each category:

1. Fracturing rigid body pic, video
  2. Dragon flame pic, video
  3. Smoke pic, video
  4. Incompressible soft bodies pic, video
  5. Clay being shaped pic, video
  6. Water + oil + fire pic, video

Way cool!

Now how do we bride this guy into re-writing the Blender Physics and Soft Body engines?

The fracturing simulations are absolutely amazing, and so are the fire and burning simulations.

I’m a bit less impressed by the boat simulation though, you see lots of dents on the water after the boat pasts, and the dents just stay there and not changing much, this is a bit unrealistic.

Wow they’ve added new ones, I looked at all their videos a couple of months ago, and now there are even more! Awesome!

Mystery

PS:
Obligatory comment: When will we see this in Blender? :wink: Couldn’t resist this one time :smiley:

There is info on that page that this Ron Fedkiw guy has published over 80 research papers about computational physics etc. These kind of papers are essential when developing these features into programs. I don’t know how to get hold of that kind of papers in general thou.

Also there might be some features missing from Blender that are required to get some certain effect… like true volumetrics for smoke and fire etc. so the coder should do at least those two if they wanted to implement that.

There are a lot of documents if you scroll down to the bottom of the page.

Mystery

True volumetrics in blender would kick ass.