Setting vertice weights/rigging?

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could give me a link to some good video tutorials or at least a really good tutorial for rigging and setting vertice weights for characters?

I don’t need to animate anything. I just need to rig a peice of clothing to a character so that I may export it to a game. :slight_smile:

I don’t need to animate anything.

Then you don’t need to worry about Rigging, Vertex Groups or WeightPainting. Just select the verts (lets say) of the legs and hips, press P to Seperate them, then tweak them to make a pair of pants. But here is a good link anyhow:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro/Advanced_Tutorials/Advanced_Animation/index

%<

LOL, I think you misunderstand me. The game that I am doing this for, doesn’t require me to animate the mesh. However, it will become animated in-game. The skeleton system I am using will automatically have an animation system that is built into the game. I am making a clothing mesh for a character. All characters in this game are rigged and have vertice weights set and you have to do the exact same thing for every single peice of clothing that they wear or you will end up with clipping issues with the clothing animates with the character’s body mesh. So I have to rig the clothing as well to match the body mesh.

Then the easiest is to do as I said for the clothing and delete the verts that the clothing hides. Join clothing and what’s left of the body into one mesh and goto rigging.

%<

Which wouldn’t work for this game. You buy and sell clothes. It is an rpg so your character constantly changes clothes. :slight_smile: So the body and the clothes must be seperate meshes. You can’t simply connect it to the body mesh. It must be created seperate from the body. Otherwise, thousands upon thousands of meshes would have to be created in order to keep up with every single clothing combination in the game. Considering that it takes place over pretty much an entire continent and two islands… it would be EXTREMELY hard to do it that way. :slight_smile:

Each clothing item must be it’s own mesh and rigged. Then you just tell the game that is a clothing item and what body part to attatch to and place it wherever you want in the game and it can be worn by any character you so choose. :slight_smile:

So yes, I have to rig it for in-game use, otherwise it won’t flow with the skin. You can’t simply delete parts of the mesh underneath and weld it onto the body.