Shader to RGB node not available

Hello! I am making an animation which I want to look more like drawn and wanted to use the Shader to RGB node, but it just doesn’t appear when I search for it. I am using cycles render engine. I’ve heard I need to bake the textures, but I wanted to hear you first. Also if I need to bake the textures, what does that do? Thank you to everyone who helps!

3 Likes

shader to rgb is only available when you change your renderer to EEVEE.
In cycles you got Toon bsdf.

10 Likes

Does toon bsdf do the same?

1 Like

yes. try it.

1 Like

Should try it, yes. But it does not do the same as shader2rgb - Cycles have no means to manipulating data once it enters a shader. In Eevee, you can use this node to get color information back. Meaning you can do light dependent manipulation of things before they enter the (final) shader.

I’ll experiment with it. Does the output look the same as what you get in Shader to RGB?

Two completely different things by nature. What you do with shader2rbg and how you use the result maybe can become a toon shader, I’ve never tried as I’m not into toons or Eevee. I’ve only tried using it for completely different things that cannot be achieved outside Eevee or using other techniques.

But I guess you could quantify the output using a ramp on glossy and diffuse shader to make it look toon’ish. Never tried it though.