Shadows in them BGE without GLSL

Your homeboy here wants shadows in it’s creation. It’s a nice touch and makes me feel all cozy. But my rig can’t handle GLSL in it’s maximum, because the game appliance gets all slow, so I must reserve my system to use Multitexture.

Multitexture is ok, I kinda like it and my modest rig runs it ok. But shadows appear not.

Is it possible to show shadows on Multitexture mode? Most tutorials I find resort to GLSL that i can’t (do not want to) use.
Something simple, of course.

I like it blunt, so blunt be, my brothers.

Thanks be to you.

Do you have an old pc or have you considered that maybe your Graphics Card is not configured like it should be? Because sometimes the system will automatically use the built-in (Intel) Graphics Card, which are usually much slower as NVIDIA or ATI, …

Raco, my sexy hunk! I use a laptop with a GeForce Go 7300 rockin’ like a thunderous behemoth of legend.
GLSL runs on it, slowly, but that is to be expected, at least I do. Multitexture is my resort for a smooth experience, but shadows are absent.

I had my hair cut, so you know.

You can Bake shadows in your textures.

You can also enable GLSL mode and disable everything but the shadows if you wanted, though for some reason GLSL mode with lights disabled means no lighting at all, rather than Multi-texture lighting.

Is there any way to boot into a blender game? will that free up a considerable amount of resources?

I know my pc running windows 7 uses some ram etc…

Use GLSL, it looks nice.

With a custom linux distro, yes.

@eyeliner

Take a look at: http://salvador.mata.com.mx/blog/2013/01/how-to-multitexture/

@@Josip_Kladaric, I want a shadow that follows my sphere, is it possible to bake moving shadows?

@@SolarLune
, I still get a major system impact, so I don’t think that is the best way.

@@BluePrintRandom, I swear, you are strange. I can’t make up most of what you post, and fail to see the relevance to the question I made.

@@GraphiX, I can’t use it and have a decent performance.

@@martin.hedin, I saw that link, but that is for fixed shadows, right?

I want to find a decent “minimum configuration required” using the most settings I want to use (I think shadows are the highest demand I will want, and in a few objects).

Well, I doubt you can get correct shadow silhuettes of your object within Multitexture mode.

• Baked shadows are great…for static objects.

There is always the possibilities of a blob-shadow (decal) projected to the ground beneath the object.

Example above from Mario 64. As you can see, it’s nice and simple, but not overly realistic.
As to how to achieve this, well, you think you can make a circle with an alpha-mapped texture, which is then parented to your actor (sphere). That of course is only good as long as your sphere is unable to jump however - otherwise you’ll have a shadow floating in space. That could perhaps be prevented with some game logic nodes or python binding your shadow map vertically to the ground.

Hope it helps.

Depending on the style of your game, you may be able to get away with a textured alpha plane that follows underneath the character to fake a shadow. I imagine this kind of trick would only work without shaders if the ground was mostly flat (otherwise the shadow plane is likely to clip into the ground).

Have you tested to see if GLSL shaders in general run slow on your system, or if it is some kind of overhead from the GLSL mode?

@Naxela
I’d say that is about what I need. I think i can make the shadow disappear when airborne, so not really a problem there. :stuck_out_tongue:
Good catch!

@Kupoman
GLSL is severe enough to give a hit to my system, despite running and looking good. I just want to make this modest system the baseline to run the game at it’s fullest (for the record, an Intel T5500 1.66 CPU, with 3.0 GB and a GeForce Go 7300). It’s a way to keep me in check regarding features, also. And yes, a plane should suffice, and with some clever design choices, I think I can do something, or discarding shadows is also a possibility.

You could try duplicating and flattening your character’s mesh, which is set to complete black (perhaps with partial transparency as well. There was an old thread on the method years ago in the resource section.

If you boot into a game, then you have 2X the resources, which means you could probably run that in GLSL as is,

that is why I asked about it,
try to understand me, I am usually trying to help…
GLSL mode may run if you have enough free VRAM Etc,

In fallout, there was a driver update/fix for my GFXcard that doubled my frame rate, and detail,without any loss of stability,
are your Gfxcard drivers current? Do you run windows or linux or?