Shadows on transparent background?

Hello, my first post here on blenderartists.org

So, I am working on some sprites for a game, I’m animating 3D models and rendering the results
to .png’s witch i then make in to a sprite-sheet in Photoshop.
I would like to have the background transparent on on my .png’s but i would also like the models to have shadows.

I am wondering if there is anyway to get my mesh to cast a shadow even though the background is transparent?
Like some kind of invisible plain under it that only show shadows?

I am also working in cycles render, i found a “shadow only” option under the material section in blender render,
is there a similar option in cycles render?

I’m new to blender so forgive me if this question is stupid or obvious. Blender has been wonderful and everything’s been working like a dream.I would be so grateful if someone could help me!

You probably need to use the Light Path node in Cycles. It’s not totally clear to me what you’re trying to do, so I can’t be more specific. The “Is Shadow Ray” output is probably relevant.

It was never clear to me exactly what the various checkboxes shadow, shadeless, transparency etc. did. I usually played with them until I accidentally got what I wanted, then kept notes. But Cycles is all-powerful with these kinds of things, with Light Path and unlimited complexity of how shaders and things can be interconnected.