shakesoda - Sketchbook

This one’s a commission and I’ve still got a lot of work to do. I recycled a few meshes from Tsubasa to get a feel for things, so her hair needs to be remade at least.

Nothing has textures yet (only vertex colors), I’ve blown the polygon budget, and things (particularly the skirt) are blatantly unfinished! That said, I think she is turning out pretty good.

Beautifully done.

Thanks!

Overdue update (for various reasons): I’ve UV mapped and textured everything (except for the hair - just vertex painted), modeled new hair, significantly reduced poly count (down to ~30k tris / 16k verts) and adjusted proportions quite a bit. The proportion changes aren’t very visible due to most of the changes being around the hip, which is pretty hidden by this kind of outfit.

I feel like there’s still some awkwardness to address on the face/hair, but I can’t quite place it.

Currently using 2x2k textures, although everything could easily fit into a 1k. Things aren’t packed as they could be because I’m leaving some room for future work and unseen parts of the mesh (the masked off parts of the body) are textured too.

I love seeing your projects and your style! It’s really inspiring~ How do you attach the cat ears (or are they fox ears? ) Are they modeled with the head or the hair or are they a completely separate mesh?

Thanks a bunch! They’re fox ears, and they are a separate mesh.

Commission update (probably the last one here), done aside from adding some details to the textures and maybe making a variation of the face which doesn’t use geometry for everything.

Do you know any good tutorials I can follow to do something like this in blender ??

@shakesoda,
wow, you’ve made quite a lot of progress since the last time I was here. I really like how the foxgirl turned out, bravo! the girl with the teddy hood also looks very well done.

Thanks! The foxgirl is my favorite so far, I will definitely be doing more with the character in the future.

These two from Daniel Kreuter are very good and complete, and we have fairly similar styles I think.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvgIVNDU-DxhGiBF31-0o2e6QxI8T3Mxs
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvgIVNDU-Dxjb3eukDF5W0l0-6ShO9OiM

Not really sketchbook stuff, but I posted a keymap script over here: http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?370728-Keymap-not-quite-default-key-maps&p=2867634#post2867634

Just linking it here so I don’t forget where it got to.

7ish hours so far. Splatoon is cool.

Proportions still need work, need to finish the hair, model some shoes and accessories, etc.

I really like your toon shading, as well as how clean your models seem to be. Very smooth and cartoony, with just the right amount ot detail.

Finished hair, various changes to the head and clothing. I think the mask and head shape are significantly better now. Probably going to model shoes and start shading next. Trying to figure out exactly how faithful I will be to the game art, still, I’d have to make the proportions even more exaggerated.

Thanks!

This started as a retopo I was doing for someone of another animal entirely, but I decided it was a goat/antelope with really crazy horns instead.

I think it turned out pretty alright.

used cloth simulator and some sewing for the clothes this time and I’m pretty happy with how everything turned out.

vertex painting isn’t done.

~10hrs

minor update: someone caught that I made the arms too long, not sure how I didn’t notice, but here is that fixed:

not sure if I’ll continue this model or start a new one next.

redid the eyes in a different style, made clothes fit a little better and the top symmetrical, tried to shade everything like I was a few months ago and that seems to have worked well.

I will at least try to rig this after modeling shoes and more tweaks (legs could use more work, maybe head a bit thinner/smaller), I could use the practice.

(I also borrowed the ears and tail from the character in my avatar and they were super cute here too… but I will resist this time)

Legs are kinda small/skinny! But I noticed that’s common in your style. I really like the head though, I think it looks great.

Yeah, I make a lot of noodly limbs. It’s intentional to a degree but doesn’t always turn out how I want. I keep planning to make different style models (so this thread isn’t entirely anime-styled girls of more-or-less exactly the same body type), and then only rarely actually doing so.

Thanks!

…and now to further contribute to the problem with a warmup from yesterday! Modeled a swimsuit for my personal favorite since it’s been so ridiculously hot around here. She’s ready for summer now, or something. I’m sure not, though, so I’m jealous of my own character now.

There were a few tweaks made to her hair, but nothing significant. I’d like to remodel her eyes so they don’t require an emission shader to look right, what I did in the model in my previous post worked great so I might go for that method again. I’ll just have to be careful to keep the same profile they’ve already got.

(…I wish I had a pool here, that would be nice.)

Wow, this sketchbook thread is sooo cool! Until today I was unable to find anime artists using Blender!

Hi your work is really stunning. Doing everything to look easy and elegant (and working out well) is very difficult. Anime is really tough for that. So congrats.

My question is, Im developing a ninja game and I am thinking about using unity. The problem is, if I rig it with bones and modifiers (lattice, meshdeform) will I be able to export all the deformations? should I use just bones alone and make workarounds?

I dont know IF you know something about it but I ask anyway.

Your topology work is some of the best, animewise that I have viewed here.

Do you work with nodes for the shading? or directly BI toon shaders? They look very very good. You are really talented. :smiley:

Cheers.