Shape Key Join as Shapes vertex count mismatch

So I’m working on some fan art. The model I have has several pre-modeled mouth shapes that I would love to animate between, and so I thought of shape keys. Problem is, the mouths have different numbers of vertices which means the join as shapes option doesn’t work.

Is there a good way to address this? Or, is there another way this should be done?

They have to have the same topology, part of which is vertex count-- that’s how Blender knows how to make interpolated values, like 0.5, for your shapekey.

If you don’t want to interpolate your shapekeys, you could instead have multiple objects, with a driver controlling visibility (which can be done in a number of different ways.)

Otherwise, pick one of your mouths and make shapekeys by editing that mesh. Use your other models as references if you want, but they’re not good for anything else.

1 Like

Ok, thanks!

That completely makes sense. I just wanted to see if I was going about it right as the original file has these meshes all stacked and I figured they must have some way of going between then fluidly.

I’ll probably just go ahead with that last method you mention and build them out off of one mesh.