shape keys wish for 2.5

How hard would this be to implement given we already have 'Deformed mesh to RVK" (which doesn’t mean much to me and I completely missed it as a noobie)

http://www.glennmelenhorst.com/misc/blender/pickfromscene.jpg

Glenn

I believe what you want to do is already possible. For instance if you make different face expressions and then mix them, when you press the “Add shape key” button it adds a new shape with those deformations as only one shape key.

Also if the mesh is deformed by an armature, if add a new shape key it keeps the deformations.

“make different face expressions and then mix them” what do you mean? Deforming the mesh that already has shape keys on it and creating a new shape from the deformation? That’s not what i mean. The workflow of most (if not all) other serious 3D apps is to allow you to have multiple copies of the mesh, each with a different sculpt that can be picked as deformation targets. The delts information is stored in the shape key modifier of the base object.
People need to be able to import sculpts from zbrush or anyother app and add them to the shape key’ed object’s list of deormations.

Glenn

what do you mean? Deforming the mesh that already has shape keys on it and creating a new shape from the deformation?
Yeap. I thought “Pick From Scene” referred to the actual deformed shape of one object.

to have multiple copies of the mesh, each with a different sculpt that can be picked as deformation targets
Got you now.

in 2.5 you’ll be able to add a button to trigger that script anywhere on the interface you like. at the moment in 2.5 you can already use python to add buttons called whatever you like!

Didn’t this used to be called something different (yet equally obscure) Like object -->rvk or something?

i guess it’s not in the UI as it implies a constant relationship rather than a one off conversion (once “converted” you edit the shape not the original object)

personally I don’t really care as once you know it can be done… it’s easy!.. and the amount of time spent converting imported meshes to rvks is tiny in comparison to the project as a whole…

But you’ll be able to do it like you want.

Didn’t this used to be called something different (yet equally obscure) Like object –>rvk or something?

It’s still called RVK1 to RVK2 (Relative Vertex Key) and it is still found under Mesh/Scripts in Edit Mode, and I sure do hope we can add that button in Object Mode because right now you have to duplicate your mesh (not always necessary, but best practice since the script won’t work on meshes that do not have exactly the same number of vertices - though this is not always true if you limit the shapekey to a vertex group with the same number of verts), add a basis shapekey to the mesh you want multiple shapekeys on, shift-select the duplicate, tab into Edit Mode and make your shapekey, and then run the script from Mesh -> Scripts -> RVK1 to RVK2, confirm a couple of prompts, … then whew done …

I always thought that we didn’t have a simple button for this since even with multiple shape keys on a single mesh you still have to tab in and out of Edit Mode to add the changes in the mesh data (which can be confusing at times) … Well lets hope 2.5 lets us transfer mesh data even in Object Mode …

…or “Deformed mesh to RVK” as I mentioned in my first post. The workflow for that is to add a shape key select both meshes and run the script. What we need is to have the target mesh selected, push a “select from scene” button which allows us to pick the deformed mesh. This would add a shape key and add the deformed mesh’s information into that key. Just making a button to run thescript would still be confusing.

Glenn