Short silent film about an Afghan boy escaping the war | Leaving the Box (2021)

The short film is currently streaming here:

Synopsis:
Leaving the Box (2021) is about an Afghan boy, named Nasir, who is running from his country after his home got bombarded. Along the way he meets a mysterious girl by the name of Sita. Resilience is key for Nasir to make it to a new home.

The past 10 weeks I was tasked to create a narrative project and, inspired by the recent events in Afghanistan, I wrote a little screenplay for a short silent film about an ambitious Afghan boy trapped in his country. As opposed to my last film, I was much more coordinated with the production, hence why I was able to finish lots of the animation in 1-2 weeks.

As for the animation, it was technically my first film where I animated humanoid characters. I do tend to remaster the movie and go back in to refine the animation after a while. For now this project was my excuse to get my feet wet with animation.

Stills below:

And the poster of course:

The assets I used, aside from the characters, were CC licensed Sketchfab models. You can find a full list of all the credits here:
https://tinyurl.com/leavingthebox

17 Likes

:+1: congrats.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thank you, have a great weekend as well!

1 Like

This reminds me of how trivial my “problems” are.
Very moving, well done.

1 Like

Thank you, I appreciate that!

You’re on the #featured row! :+1:

1 Like

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

great work… women and children always innocent. movie was really hurts. the lights is very effective and atmospher too. Do you have any advice for making short animated movies in blender?

1 Like

Thank you! My advice would be to plan everything out to save yourself tons of error during the actual production. So spend extra time on the writing, storyboarding, animatic and block-out phase.

1 Like

It sometimes feels like the human race is in a perpetual circle of conflict, started the day we figured out how to make pointy sticks…
And during those conflicts, women and children always suffer the most.

On the one hand we send the most technically complex things to space, on the other hand we start wars over things many forget a few months in. Or over things that happened long long before.

Too bad the topic is still very much a actuality for a lot of people. My country recently took in a lot of Afghan refugees, hopefully it will give them a more peaceful future.

2 Likes

So glad that this has been featured :+1:

1 Like