Should a cape on a character be rigged or a cloth simulation?

I have a character that I want to put a cape/scarf on. I couldn’t think of a way to rig the cape to look natural without looking static or pulling in odd directions and simulating cloth takes up a lot of render time. Is there another method for putting capes on characters?

This is the idea but I want the charcter to be able to move and the cape follow somewhat correctly.

1 Like

My honest appreciation of this question would simply be – “it depends on the shot(s)!!"

For a static presentation of the character, within which the character’s cape is doing nothing in particular (or, particularly challenging), then “you need not borrow trouble.” But you also need to be mindful that “this will be the starting position of” any simulations that might in other shots be called for.

When “he’s just standing there,” a little bit of keyframed (NLA) “absent-mindedly swishing back and forth a little” might be all that’s needed. (Or, perhaps with a simple driver …) In other shots, you might need to attach the cape to a simulation. (And so, you should probably rig the cape-asset … or assets … from the beginning with that in mind.)

“There is never, ever, ‘just one answer.’” And so, part of your challenge is to make sure that all of the answers make visual sense to the audience when presented together, even if (only you know that …) they were realized in different ways.

I suggest that you “film the shots” first, using OpenGL Preview, and then do some preliminary editing of those shots to get a clear picture of how the cape will actually be seen in the show. That’s what will determine what you do, and don’t, need to do next.

2 Likes

I love this post already.

Cool character. Love the style and creativity!!
#spacecowboy