Should I join my meshes and retopology in one?

Hello all,

I’m still a beginner and just sculpted my first “full” human body. The next step (before applying textures or colours) shall be retopology of the mesh but I am stuck.

In regards of applying textures later, i do not really know how to proceed from here.
The problem I have is, that I sculpted the bodyparts kind of individually, so they right now all have different polycounts.

When i do retopology, do I keep them individual and join the retopologized mesh afterwards together to one? Or should i firstly join my mesh and do retopo?
Is it bad in general to have bodyparts in different meshes after finishing the sculpting?

I would appreciate any advice. Thank you!

I mean, if you plan on manually re-topo’ing, then I’d go ahead an join them. If you plan on using the voxel remesh or whatever, then you’ll have to join them for that anyway. Just be sure to save a new file before hand, just incase something for some reason goes wrong.

That said – for best results – I think it might be worth joining them and doing a voxel remesh anyway, and then smooth out the transitions between the different meshes before you do your manual retopo.

2 Likes

In this case, as Magnavis suggests, joining and remeshing is a good approach.

But if you really want to keep them separate for some reason, you can sculpt in a way that transition is barely noticeable - it wouldn’t really show up in baking later.
…that said, this approach works best when manual Retopo is done twice: one for cleaning up the sculpted parts and then - for final model.

1 Like