showing text

I am a newbie, Tried looking for this a lot. could not do it. Its like I want to show some text by adding property to a plane UV mapped and textured with a font file (arialbd.tga). But it doesnt work for me. Doesnt show up when I render. Could you help me out with this please? I need to show some text on the plane. Thank you very much.

do you want text in a render or the GE?

I UV-mapped a cube with just a plane picture and then went to materials and enabled TexFace and it worked fine for Me. If you UV-map somthing it won’t show up in the render window until you enable TexFace. Are you trying to place a font file in the plane?

Blending Online has the best text tutorial. Couple mistakes commonly made, the text property must be capitalized as “Text”, the font must be a specal font. Arialbd is probably right, it should be a tga file, one you downloaded, not a jpeg from the site. There really isn’t much more to it. You select the face, reduce the border so it just covers the “@”, and click on the text property in modeling menu along with alpha.

if you need text in the GE check this example file:

Text In The Game Engine

:smiley: enjoy

Thanx to you guys for coming back to me with this. But I want to show the text in the render window. When I was looking for it on the net and forums, I thought adding property like that might help me.
Could anybody guide me if it can be done like that?
If not any other ideas? Thanks again.

do:
space, add, text

no Braveheart,
Not like that.
I want to do it using python script.
ok lemme explain. its like i want to read frm a text file. and store the values i need from the text file into some variable. and then show them on the screen.
Now i m wondering whats the best way to do it?
So applying texture and adding property might do that as i thought.
Do you have any suggestions for me please?
Thanx.

woah, are you trying to recreate notepad in blender? if so, i believe it’s already been done.

Hi Yeh I made a txt file reader that displays the lines like a book. It was intended to read the Etext books from the gutenberg foundation.

This is strictly for the game engine where you dont “render”(how I understand it) but display and manipulate “things” in real time.

so I am not really sure what you are trying to acheive. If you want text in a render then yeh, space bar add text otherwise go to http://www.bentstraight.org/Games.htm
and download the EText Reader and see if it is sort of what you are after and I will show how it was all done.

Dr S