Shrinkwrap onto plane but origo/camera center as target. 3D to 2D perspective flattening

I have a 3D scene I need to flatten towards the camera in order for the geometry to still appear 3D when viewed in a 2D game from the front. I’ve done this in Maya with the shrinkwrap method and the “toward the world center” option but so far I’ve found no way to do this with Blenders shrinkwrap or any other method in Blender. Is there a way to do this or with a plugin?

In this example I used a torus and sphere to illustrate what I want but often I need more complex geometry that will not work with by the parallell projection methods Blender uses as it it then like the sphere would overlap the torus incorrectly from the origos point of perspective in flattened form.

I dunno if this helps, but would it be possible to use object constraints (the camera as target) + a shrinkwrap modifer for each object with the plane as target so they follow the camera? There are even constraints so objects will “look” at a certain object. I hope this might gives you an idea and solves somehow your problem. Ps.: If an object constraint would never use the camera center then you could hook and empty to your desired camera center and the object constraints follow the empty then.

Unfortunately no. I need every vertex to individually travel straight on a line towards the target/origo as the true geometry I want to perspective-flatten is much more complex than this, the objects I used here are only to illustrate how it should work.

I received the solution over at blender.stackexchange, it’s a simple python script that accomplishes this perfectly: https://blender.stackexchange.com/questions/159914/perspective-flatten-geometry-by-shrinkwrap/160388#160388

1 Like