Siberian Husky

Hello everyone! I’ve been trying to learn about the various features of Blender through creating a model of a Siberian husky. My goal has been to make it look semi-realistic as if it would belong in a short open-movie like Spring or Cosmos Laundromat. This is my first long-term Blender project, so if you’re willing, I’m open to hearing any feedback/comments/concerns/criticisms about the dog so I can learn how to make better 3D models in the future!

Here are a couple other renders

This is the wireframe

Here’s a side view

7 Likes

Here is the Blender file. Feel free to poke around, and I’d love to hear from anyone who uses this model for their own renders!

1 Like

This is still great, came back to it after a few months of digging around my downloads folder. (I downloaded the blender file when the thread was fresh.)

I do have one question though about the rig. Did you create the rig yourself? It’s very well scripted and quite complex.

I didn’t, fortunately Blender’s has a built-in Rigify extension. That came with a wolf rig that was easy to use, and that saved me a lot of time!

He’s a adorable, and the lighting and fur shader look great. He looks very alive in the eyes as well. That said, topology looks a little weird in the shoulders. The other-wise even topology gets a little dense where you put the pentagon of quads, which also makes for an odd topology flow. That’s the only critique I have of this gorgeous dog though.

What are the usage rules for the .blend file? CC-BY, CC-0, or something else?

Thank you for your input! I agree the topology is a bit strange there. I made the base model a long time ago when I was just learning about box modeling, so there’s room for improvement there. I was hoping to start over some time now that I’m a bit more familiar with the process.

If you can still use the model, that’s great! Otherwise do whatever you’d like to the rest of the .blend file. I’m releasing it under the CC-0 license.

Oh, I still love that gorgeous dog. I only mentioned the topology because you asked for critique, and there’s really not much to critique here since these look like stills from a big studio animated movie. I’m sure I’ll find a use for him.

I genuinely appreciate the critique; it helps me become better at 3D modeling. Thank you for the compliments too! He was a fun project, and I can’t wait to see where he goes from here!

Nice project. It was kind of you to share your file :+1:

1 Like