Siggraph 2009

• double post
  • double posting

I was boored in blender2.5 UV/Image editor. I really hope there’s option to chose cursor mode, I want the precision cursor when painting.

http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/4687/babep.th.jpg

Come on guys, could you please discuss the nomenclature of Blender 2.50 in another thread?

@womball: I am all for a meetup (that’s why I suggested it earlier this thread), but I just saw the Computer Animation Festival yesterday, so I don’t want to hang around here until 10.

Could we do it tomorrow instead?
If you guys still decide to go tonight, please post it here, then I might consider to take a bus back downtown.

MD

What a thread hijack I was looking foward to read some posts on siggraph yet all I got to read where some useless posts on how blender 2.50 should be held back as if it is been developed for some ficitional mythical users who will jump ship from whatever program they use if it meets their standard of perfection. Considering most 3d artists uses whatever software their respective companies purchase for them this idea of a flood of new users jumping ship to Blender when 2.50 is released is just wishful thinking.

So to all the guys that were at siggraph what news can you bring as

(With apologies for the ongoing thread hijack): From the mailing list, the KDE 4.0 experience was mentioned, which is why I think the went with “first of the 2.5 releases in October, final version in 2010” line in the press release. I’m not sure it’s going to be quite enough though - might need to tag them with something else… 2.5 Early Adopters version maybe?

What a thread hijack I was looking foward to read some posts on siggraph yet all I got to read where some useless posts on how blender 2.50 should be held back as if it is been developed for some ficitional mythical users who will jump ship from whatever program they use if it meets their standard of perfection.

What you classify as a thread hijack I classify as sage advice. I think they are aiming to get this out way too early, and the software will be worse for it.

@madcow I just feel that vast majority of us here are not devs so none of us honestly knows how much work is done or has to be done. Ton is confident of getting out a release by october, so am more inclinded to believe what he says rather than speculate about things I have zero clue about. Personally I feel these are just nerves, there is always that little bit of panic and insecurity that creeps when a project is about to wrap lets all have a little faith.

If people are worried about bugs and all than when the release candiates or betas come out than step up and help with the bugtesting and hunting.

Maybe you have a point – I can’t argue with the fact that Ton is a very smart man. Checkmate to Tyrant monkey :stuck_out_tongue:

Ton is also aware of development tinkering zombies…the longer you take to get something out the less like ly it will actually be worth while…“in the users hands” is the best form of testing and development that I know of(besides the obvious project based development).

I think we should meet up at Harrah’s tonight. Ladies night!

Fair enough to all that you’ve said, Tyrant Monkey, except for I think you’re wrong in one respect: I think that there will be a LOT of new users when 2.5 is released. I think that there is a lot of pent-up demand for this version of Blender for a variety of reasons:

A lot of users of other 3D softwares are fed up with their current vendors.

A lot of users are looking to cut their costs because of the economy.

A lot of users have always wanted to get into Blender but just couldn’t get around the old interface.

Granted, like you alluded to, most of these people will be freelancers and teams from small companies, as well as hobbyists and students, in other words, those who can make their own software decisions.

So a bunch of people who have absolutely no say in the matter arguing about a subject that has nothing at all to do with the thread title is ‘sage advice’?

Man, I’m like a master of sage advice or something…

I say let them do what they want. If they release too early then all the open source haters will have a lot of ammo and they will alienate the existing user base. Worst case scenario the Blender Foundation crumbles and blender can finally be rid of all the (failed) corporate cruft that keeps it stuck in the past instead of focused on the future.

Not that I have anything against the fine folks of the BF or anything just handing out some free ‘sage advice’ since this thread is about pointless to find anything that even remotely deals with siggraph.

Did anyone see the Animux presentation? :slight_smile:

I’m keen to hear more about Animux if someone did make it. I have the distro on a disk, but not installed currently.

Hey guys, hope you all had fun at SIGGRAPH. I was at the blender booth and got to chat with Ton for a little bit. Think I saw Fweeb and a couple others there too. Wish I could have hung out there more but I was pretty busy going to all the talks. I had a blast though; it was definitely my favorite SIGGRAPH so far. :yes:

as far as the public beta goes, hasn’t it been normal before all of the major releases for there to be several release candidates for bug fixing? that is what a beta is, the features are there but bugs that can only be found from many users testing all the features. I’d be very suprised if there isn’t at least 3 or 4 RC’s for 2.5

from the Sunday meeting:

<LetterRip> Hi all, Siggraph was absolutely amazing
<kaito> heya mr rip!
<DingTo> tested it too a while ago
<LetterRip> had a blast
<LetterRip> greets kaito
<LetterRip> theeth - if you are around i contacted the people who wanted haptics work done and recommended you for it
<kaito> my quick sig conclusion: loadsa interest from professional dev support, consultancy and integration servicing companies
<LetterRip> kaito - yeppers
<kaito> which is a great positive signal :slight_smile:
<DingTo> nice
<jesterKing> cool
<kaito> if people see money we do something good i guess :slight_smile:
<LetterRip> yeah - hopefully my survey will give us a better handle on what people are willing and interested in paying for
<LetterRip> i can’t believe people use Maya for modeling only
<kaito> challenge will be finding a good way to set this communication well going
<LetterRip> that is what it is one of the worst things at doing
<kaito> LetterRip: in studios, right. crazy!

• Genscher also got mail from german (little) company last days which would like to do plugins for blender (commercial) / export mainly, but now witht blender 2.5 also import
    <DingTo> how was the 2.5 ressonance regarding the UI?
    <Genscher> (they dev fire + smoke for lightwave)
    <jesterKing> there is in Finland also interest from designers in Blender
    <LetterRip> Genscher interesting
    <kaito> rhythm & hues “we mostly use in-house, and maya for modeling, and houdini for some vfx”
    <LetterRip> DingTo - some people are interested in Blender specifically because of hte UI change - lots of mentions of ‘well I tried blender once but couldn’t really get past the interface but i love what you are doing’
    <theeth> kaito: 90% inhouse
    <DingTo> LetterRip: thats nice
    <LetterRip> most people were unaware of blender being able to sculpt
    <kaito> Genscher: you explained to them that C plugs have to be gpl-compliant, but pure py scripts can be licensed freely?
    <LetterRip> and were rather impressed with the demo i gave of it
    <DingTo> great
    <theeth> LetterRip did some great PR work all week
    <LetterRip> most were unaware of the GE integration
    <jesterKing> :slight_smile:
    <LetterRip> and of Compositing and NLE capabilities
    <Genscher> kaito, i explained them that they could use a nice blender - py - c bridge :wink:
    <LetterRip> lots of ‘oh i thought blender was just a modeler’
    <theeth> LetterRip: in a nutshell, they didn’t know anything