Silver Surfer and Silver Surfer: Black

Hi guys! I’m here to show you my most recent (not really) project. I was only allowed to show it now.
Made this one a year ago. Sculpted in Zbrush and rendered in Cycles + some LuxCore test (clay image).

12 Likes

Good job but i challenge you to use Blender for sculpting next time. :wink:

I love it. You can really feel the power and majesty of the Surfer here.

May I ask why you decided to go with the pressure ripples in the board where his hand is gripping it?

I don’t recall ever seeing that in a comic, but somehow to think that it’s not quite as firm as you would expect makes it seem more alien.

I have tried already. But when it comes to money, I can’t afford to take twice the time in a software I don’t know so well (at least the sculpting part). But sure, I can try again on a personal project!

1 Like

Great work :+1:
congrats.

Hi! Thanks!

Actually it was to resemble a little the movie Surfer and some pages of a comic book that I read which silver surfer rises from the snow (I think in the New Fantastic four) in which he kind of liquify the board.

It’s more of an aesthetics decision than anything else.

Thanks again!

Thanks! Appreciate it!

1 Like

I have tried already. But when it comes to money, I can’t afford to take twice the time in a software I don’t know so well (at least the sculpting part). But sure, I can try again on a personal project!

This…

@Harti : It’s never a wise decision to do a commercial project in a software you don’t really master yet.
And despite all the sculpting improvements in Blender, it still cannot hold a candle to a -dedicated sculpt app- like ZBrush.

Use the tools that are buit for a certain task, and don’t try to shoehorn it into a allrounder application. It won’t work well.

2 Likes

I guess i live in danger. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Tough guy eh?? :wink:

edit: but on a more serious note…
There’s a reason why dedicated apps are faster, or better equipped for the task they have to do.
Look at Nuke vs Blender’s compositor, or fluids/smoke in Houdini vs an addon in Blender etc.
Can you do it in Blender? Sure. Will you be faster? Probably not, especially when things get more complex or bigger.

Not to say Blender is not good enough for certain tasks, but a dedicated application will win all the time (for now…)

2 Likes

Well said.

I use Blender mainly for modeling poly-by-poly or using the amazing modifiers it has. Like doing shrinkwraps and other stuff that zbrush lacks. And rendering final projects.

For this statue projects, Blender unfortunately can’t hold and handle that much geometry. For rendering, after decimating the project, the maximum amount I could get blender to work with was 100 million verts but it was a pain. An awful pain. Imagine having to sculpt that much geo in there. There is no way, unfortunately.

1 Like

not sure why so many are questioning or telling you what you “should have done”. I think this is great no matter what methods you used. the end result looks great to a simpleton like me.

1 Like

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!

1 Like

Thanks Bart!

1 Like

Thank you!!