Simple AI

Ha ha ha! I did upload the .blend1.

Thanks microwave!

I fixed the upload, here is the proper file:
http://www.savefile.com/files/895341

basicaly, .blend1 is just the same that .blend file … it’s temporary file … you can open it the same way, as I did :wink:

I’m happy to see this, it will be very usefull in my next little game… Thanks !

Here is an awesome new demo!
YOU GUYS GOT TO SEE THIS :smiley:

http://aycu25.webshots.com/image/21384/2001085479879012678_rs.jpg
http://www.savefile.com/files/895726

I fixed all p00f’s mistakes with the fireball, and the targeting system.

The bots are now deadly accurate! they even peg each other in mid air!

You guys really have to see this, we raised the fireball shooter, so now he clears the rails… in the final game we will now have him throw the fireballs like a baseball pitcher, rather than cast them from a wand or staff :smiley:

p00fs plan is a good one, I am glad we are waiting until near the end of the tutorials for the animations… now we only have to do the animations once, to match the movements, rather than animate, make bots, re-animate to fix everything :stuck_out_tongue:

There is no more lag when fireballs spawn, there is minimal lag when bots spawn.
The gibs are now fixed as well, in the future we will have even more tweaks to speed things up.

Sorry to jump around for the tutorials, but we need all the death/mortality stuff for the elevator logic, and for falling from high places, and into lava/endlesspit/pool of poision/toxic waste/giant meat grinder, ETC… it is all going to be taken care of via a volume system :slight_smile:
we are just waiting to get all the navigation, and obsticals taken care of first
Hi olm-z!

glad you like it, if you want to save time, you are more than welcome to just append the bots into your game, and replace the meshes :smiley:

Ok everyone, I must go to work now!

please feel free to post your opinions!!! even small ones (cool!, nice job! ,you suck, lame, Etc… all are exceptable )

@ p00f,

please re-do the homing missile skin, at a distance the checkerboard makes bad flickering at a distance.(common mip map problem I think)

also my subversion wont update automatically now for some reason :frowning:

the spawn master is screwing up too, it is loosing track of the populous count I think seems like blue dose it more than red… might help track down the error…

Very good work poof and Mmph!, love the gibs. You should add in the player next on one of the two teams so we don’t have to just sit there and watch. keep up the good work.

-Gomer

This is looking very nice,
some might even call it “professional” looking, but I wont. (unless we sell a copy, then it will earn the title :smiley: )

@ Gomer,

Thank you!
we will be adding the player models, very last, after the bot learns how to navigate a little bit better. and after we teach him a few attack moves (jumping around, serpentine, and gang mobs!)

@ Mmph!

nice :slight_smile:

The gibs are still broken, you changed everything over so it would not spawn at the exact same time, then you went and put the entire gib system on the same pulse timer as one of the meat chunks. (duh!)

well will shave even more lag off when we go around and make the map out of convex shapes.
the way we have the demo course now is about 75% made out of concave shapes.

we are very close to being done with this bot.

@ Black Reaper,

nice model, if it fits in with out final theme, we will definitely use it.
Thank you.

Thanks gomer! we work hard to please.
p00f made the gibs, for the textures he modeled the gibs and bones in blender, then just snapped off some alpha masked .tga files (or .png?)
we recycled teh textures fom an older game we was doing a while back.

Gibs are fixed, thanks p00f!,I will try what you said on the map in a few minuets.

I want to have 20 bots on each side by dinner time. :cool:

Yes this is definitely sweet, I mean it is sweet from a gamers point of view(I just want to jump in there and fly around and kill bots) BUT even better since I know how hard it was to program it to work and I can appreciate it. Good Luck on finishing this up!

Well done. Excellent work, I’ll have to try and change the AI format from FPS style to RPG. Shouldn’t be to hard, in fact, it should be easier than making an FPS bot. (Hmmm, we seem to be having an epidemic of AI tutorials, not that I’m complaining.)

GET THIS FIRST, it looks sooooooooo cool!
Why would you comment your own project like that? It’s really off-putting. I think you should say:

Get this first, I think it is so cool
It makes it seem less like you’re forcing your opinion onto us

guys, great work! nice AI system, really impressive. Cant wait for this to evolve into a full game, it’ll be freakin awesome!:smiley:

Definitely gunna keep an eye on this…

Python might be difficult to learn initially, but I know one thing, it makes your logic a hell of a lot more tidy.:stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks guys!!

hi bomberman,

p00f has everything almost done for the player logic, soon we will be bot blasting :slight_smile:

hi Dakka Dakka,
the bots are definitely usable in an rpg, hope you like them.
if you have some RPG feature you want us to try to accomplish, feel free to post it.

hey TomorrowMan,
I am happy you like the bots :slight_smile:
I agee, that the script would be easy to manage.
This biggest things I miss in logic blocks compared to a text editor, is the find feature.
just press control F, and you can search for the varriable you need to tweak.

On nice feature I really want to see in logic bricks, is the ability to change the logic brick colors.
Just think of it.
all the blocks that have to do with keyboard controlls, you make blue, the mouse controls you make green…
it would make things much easyer to identify .

@ all,
well, I have to do some housework today. Tonight I will be working on this again.

p00f might make a new update here before I get back, he has the day off, and he has dedicated it to the bots.
he already has the fireballs looking like ,well, fireballs :slight_smile: think he is going to add some kind of smoke poofs too.

as soon as we get this bot done I think we are going to do some other type of bots.
web sensors, flock bots, and stalkers are on the agenda.

Mmph! and p00f, I really must say that is some inspiring work! I have a couple questions (to anyone who can answer.) Note, these are not requests, just a few “what ifs?”

This AI pathfinding looks as though its implementation could be much larger than simply a shooting game. Am I correct in imagining that this simple AI method could also be used as a way to simulate people in an urban setting? Just a bunch of different people all walking around, including entering and exiting buildings?

Also, instead of shooting each other, would it be possible for the characters to wave at each other? Could these interactions between each other be varied and context sensitive, allowing different places to yield different reactions?

I know that is a highly complicated matter. I am curious as to how much more “logic” the Blender game engine can handle before dipping into the frame rate.

This AI pathfinding looks as though its implementation could be much larger than simply a shooting game. Am I correct in imagining that this simple AI method could also be used as a way to simulate people in an urban setting? Just a bunch of different people all walking around, including entering and exiting buildings?

Absolutely! the only reason we are jumping into shooting, and the mortality stuff, is because when we implement the elevator logic, the bot needs to be smashed if he gets under the lift.

we also wanted to illustrate the Deathfall feature, where the mapper places volumes around the map near high ledges. so when the bot jumps off the ledge he will hit the deathfall volume which will make so that the next time he touches a floor actor he dies, or recieves falling damage.

Also, instead of shooting each other, would it be possible for the characters to wave at each other? Could these interactions between each other be varied and context sensitive, allowing different places to yield different reactions?

yea, the shooting is just a proxy for any reaction really… like you said we can have them wave (if p00f ever finishes modeling the bots arms :stuck_out_tongue: ).

for diffrent locations, just add a property to the floor, or surround the area with a convex polytrope (like a cube or cylender), with the ghost button ticked, and a property like:
Zone 1, zone 2 zone 2
area 1, area 2, area 3.

then wire the 2 sensors together with an AND block.
here is an example in pig algebra,
[Collide bot69]-[ AND]-[Collide-Zone 3] = the result you wanted when the player touches bot 69 in zone 3.

I am curious as to how much more “logic” the Blender game engine can handle before dipping into the frame rate.

yea me too, I am wondering if there is a limit to how many logic bricks we can have.

Really nice AI, looks good enought for some unreal tournament like game or something.
Anyways I took a look at the logic, but man it’s quite a lot of bricks there. XD I think when it works perfect, you should redo the logics and see where you can delete a few or find another solution. It would be a great challenge to turn it into a good python script afther the AI is done and see if there are any improvements to fps as well.

Here is todays screenshot
http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/21189/2000548146114533990_rs.jpg

http://www.savefile.com/files/898879
Thanks JD Multi,
we are going to be making a few bots and documenting them…
the next ones will be more streamlined.

we will already have the map built, and then do all the custom navigation from there.

Sorry to rush, my lunchbreak is now 6 minuets over…

Sorry, I uploaded the wrong file again, here is the update+ a couple of bugfixes
http://www.savefile.com/files/898879
i fixed the link in the last post too… sorry to everyone who got the wrong file.

I have my fps pegged at 59-60 most of the time… it dips down to the high 40’s in heavy combat with lots of gibs.

after we get all the bugs squished in the master spawner not keeping the correct count,
we will finish up tutorial 8.

Bricks, bricks, and more bricks, you may want to find a way to condense it down in python, what if you have 100’s of nodes in a very complex map, the logic bricks will be so many it’ll be a hassle.

what if you have 100’s of nodes in a very complex map, the logic bricks will be so many it’ll be a hassle.

Then I will no longer use the “Simple AI” … I will then use “Advanced AI” which we will develop when we have a map with hundreds of nodes :slight_smile:

we are almost done with this simple AI demo, we will move on to a mesh or a web AI soon which is far superior to a node based system…

tutorial 8 is complete!!
get the demo and the documents here:
http://aycu19.webshots.com/image/21538/2001677416950776778_rs.jpg

http://mmph.phpnet.us/tutorial8/index.html

p00f has the new map texture complete, so I think we are going to make a real map now.

Nice tutorials, I really like them a lot. Anyways to give myself some sort of challenge I’m actually turning this AI logic setup into a python based setup. I’m not a good programmer, more a hobbiest and it takes a long time before I can come up with something good and clean.

My goals are:

• reduce the amount of logic for the ai
  • replace sensors and actuators with pieces of python code (for example: the track to actuator)
  • save frames per second
  • a nice clean and easy template
  • think about new features

Here a test I made so far:
http://stud.cmd.hro.nl/0775659/various/blender_ge/source_ai_nodes.zip

If you want to play around with it, just add more empties and rename them with: node+number, example: node9. The script contains a variable: nodeMax, which holds the amount of nodes places in the scene. Further it’s all automated, no need for properties on nodes or whatever. :slight_smile:

Anyways, I’ll keep an eye on your progress Mmph!, and see if I can help a bit with a python version and maybe some new features. Pls keep going on, you’re doing a great job I really like the tutorials, defently worth a Blendernation news article. :smiley:

Awesome JD-multi!!!

You should make so that the names of the nodes are like node.001… that way blender will automatically name them for you when you duplicate them :smiley:

our next bot will be like this… just thought I would share a trade secrete.

I love it, do you remember that ancient game centipede? the bots remind me of the sections of the centipede walking around… or soldiers marching in a line going off to battle :slight_smile:

I got to get back to work :smiley: break over 5 minuets ago…