Simple Asset Manager

Updated to version 0.6:

• added .exr format for environment images
  • Assets collection! Now addon imports objects to Assets/[obj_name] collection

Big question for you guys, how does append object would work:

• imports into visible assets/[objectname] and thats all
  • imports into hidden assets/[objectname] and links [objectname] collection to the scene as collection.
0 voters
  • Imports into visible: it would be easier to edit as it is, but nicely arranged into “assets”; easily can be moved into other collections.
  • Imports as a collection: harder to edit but… easier to handle many instances of the collection, better obj instancing management out of the box, still easy to move into other collections. :stuck_out_tongue:

Zrzut%20ekranu%20z%202018-12-31%2001-03-33

2 Likes

Updated to version 0.7

• Open now opens file in separate blender instance.
  • Render previews now also renders in separate instance, and autoreloads previews. Small thing, but won’t be so confusing while doing this. And you won’t loose your job while doing this actions.

P.S. @demetrioviviani I’ve fixed list order - alphabetical now :stuck_out_tongue: Sorry for late.

3 Likes

What I would really love is to just link the collections from other .blend files. :star_struck:

I wish this could be optional, as i was using Open on the same instance a lot recently.

1 Like

And i did patch for the feature i wanted opensame.patch (1.7 KB)

And it looks like this on the addon preferences menu:

I used git diff on the main SAM folder and it seems to work, hope i didn’t break anything, :wink:.

2 Likes

Same for me, I have that much addons (or is it Windows Defender that scans Blender at each start-up) that Blender starts up slow. Open on same instance is therefore a bit faster for me.

It takes 7 seconds with 46 plugins to start Blender for me, and with an old HDD.
On my laptop with SSD, just 3.
I guess using Linux helps, much less resource hungry.

Couldn’t you just use --factory-startup with a list of needed addons (via --addons “list…”) to make the startup of another instance faster?
I vote for keeping it another instance.

By default the new option checkbox is disabled, so it will open on another instance.

True indeed. Patch is merged. Thanks @CansecoGPC . Bacisly nothing is changed, but there is additional option to open in same instance.

@Botoni I’ll need to think how can I apply this to the addon base idea [each blendfile is separate thing], but maybe it will be quite easy to do.

1 Like

Blender does it by it’s link option and Yet Another Asset Manager does it too if I recall correctly, if you want to take a look at the project :wink: https://github.com/amirpavlo/YAAM

Sure, sure it will be easy to do, just need to check all the possibilities, like:

• no collection (only main) - creates collection named by file
  • one collection - imports collection
  • many collections - imports them into filename collection
  • particles collections - maybe imports as separate particle group collections, and store theme in separate collection.

I saw YAAM, it looks great and powerfull, but im trying to do it in a way the user wouldn’t see as liitle buttons as possible. As well not to handle it by folders. (except of material, and particle folder addon should decide by itself how to handle files.

Maybe in the future i will try to make it so the user can make any folders, with any structure, and addon will find the “type” by itself. So if there would be only particle system, and all the objects would be in a group of particle system then it will import it as a particle system, otherwise it will import as a object (ex monster with fur).

Updated to version 0.8

• Materials can now be append, added and replaced. So now they can be also added as new slot or replaced active material slot! :slight_smile:

Collections import is still in progress, hopefully will have some time next week.

2 Likes

That’s great, it works (after a restart) to replace materials.
Maybe you know more about the following:
It seems, for a few weeks now, there are a few addons giving a similar error (like Simple Asset Manager and also Hardops;
WARN (bpy.rna): c:\b\win64_cmake_vs2017\win64_cmake_vs2017\blender.git\source\blender\python\intern\bpy_rna.c:1419 pyrna_enum_to_py: current value ‘0’ matches no enum in ‘SimpleAssetManager’, ‘’, ‘subcat’

I’m getting the below error when i try to render previews. Looks like i’m missing a studio light (noon.exr)? Am I supposed to have this already or where does it comes from? Sorry i’m new to blender and don’t know to much about how the studio lights work yet.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “D:\Programs\Blender\blender-2.80.0-git.ad707115d5bc-windows64\2.80\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py”, line 200, in call
ret = op_call(self.idname_py(), None, kw)
RuntimeError: Error: Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Users\jon\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.80\scripts\addons\SimpleAssetManager_init_.py”, line 293, in execute
area.spaces[0].shading.studio_light = ‘noon.exr’
TypeError: bpy_struct: item.attr = val: enum “noon.exr” not found in (‘city.exr’, ‘courtyard.exr’, ‘forest.exr’, ‘interior.exr’, ‘night.exr’, ‘studio.exr’, ‘sunrise.exr’, ‘sunset.exr’)

location: D:\Programs\Blender\blender-2.80.0-git.ad707115d5bc-windows64\2.80\scripts\modules\bpy\ops.py:200

haha! Yes! :smiley: I’m aware of it from the beggining. I runs an error when folder is empty of objects (previews), so it cant show default preview which is 0. :stuck_out_tongue: I was thinking to somehow handle the error, but there was so much awesome requests, i found it not so important.

@jgz3d It is fixed now, noon.exr was removed from default hdr images in blender. i’ve udes city cause it looks most neutral.

Which hdr would be best to present your assets?

• city.exr
  • courtyard.exr
  • forest.exr
  • interior.exr
  • night.exr
  • studio.exr
  • sunrise.exr
  • sunset.exr

0 voters

Ok, I have some minor struggle with importing collections, from other file.
I’ve handled importing collections into /Assets / filenamecollection. Handle as well basic collection (when there is only default collection, then it imports only objects).
I’m strugling when there are some collections(2 or more), and additionally there is an object in SceneCollection.
I can’t import scene collection, so i would need import collections(with all objects), and then separately objects, and check if it is already in collection or it was in main collection. I don’t want to do that, cause it will end up with a lot of steps.
Like here:obraz

EDIT: Got it! I’ll do a little hack with importing scenes, and then appendig them to the assets collection, and removing imported scenes :smiley:

1 Like

I would rather go with interior.exr, cause it has more “natural” shading, whereas studio, shows more geometry, but is quite rough.
I’ve fixed all render issues (rerender) (and moves render to separate blender batch mode).
Och fuck it! I’ll do another setting in options, it is just couple of more code . :angry: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I was swaring so the prev post was hidden, but I will probably end up adding additional setting to choose render environment.

Left: Interior, nicer, more natural
Right: Studio, More sharp, visible geometry.

2 Likes

How batch render all previews works? When i click in preferences ‘render missing previews’ another instance of blender opens and nothing happend.