Simple Deform Bending not working properly anymore

THIS WAS working earlier to create a curved blade but now it’s doing this instead of actually curving the mesh

It worked and I tested it to help a friend who was modeling a katana but having problems with the bending of the blade, after instructing him how to do this he said it’s still not working so I opened a new file in blender and did it with a simple cube and showed him how I had it set up. but it still wasn’t working for him so he sent me his file and I tried bending/curving the blade. after that the modifier would not work properly even in new files I create it’s doing this

Any help would be appreciated.

I have applied all transforms on the model.
from what it looks like to me when I turn on the setting to show the result of the modifier in edit mode it seems to be rotating the straight lines of the length instead of curving them.

after this some of my other modifiers also started behaving strangely, namely when I use the subd modifier and turn on the Show result in edit mode, it actually doesn’t show the result. I first have to apply the modifier.

I’m starting to think the file he sent me was cursed or corrupted in some way and now it affected blender for me.

anyone have any fixes for this?

I have also tried to restart blender but that didn’t fix anything

The simple deform modifier is anything but simple. The only way to get consistent results is by sacrificing a chicken to the old gods at midnight on a solstice. That failing, you can try applying your Location and Scale (Ctrl A in Object Mode), or better yet, use something else entirely

2 Likes

You may have to reload factory settings, purge cache, config directories of some python pycache files.

If you don’t succeed, last update of 3.6 LTS is 3.6.8, you could download and try it, instead of 3.6.4.

Usually the option I choose. Using that modifier to Bend something in a predictable way is so incredibly aggravating, that one might just decide “You know, maybe this object should just not be bent.”

1 Like

Ok I actually got it working again. I restarted my system (that didn’t help)
after trying again I decided to try and rotate the empty I was using as the origin and for some reason that worked. I don’t know why but it did. I rotated it by 90 degrees on x and that seemed to make the rectangle bend the way I wanted it to. though I don’t understand why I have to do that now but didn’t earlier.

What else could I use? I’m not terribly familiar with all the modifiers in blender and I thought that simple deform would be the standard way.

and one more question:
is it just that the simple deform is incredibly buggy? or was it made this way intentionally?

if it’s just bugs has there been a bug report or should I open one?

I don’t know about intentionally, but the developers are well aware of how terrible it is.

See:

To your main question:

I wouldn’t use a modifier at all - I would make a simple armature with three bones in a chain, parent with automatic weights, move the bones as desired

yeah but seems like that wouldn’t work well for a katana blade but I’ll try it any way. tnx for the suggestion

It’s not so much that it is buggy, but the use feels like whomever coded it had never used a deformer in any other 3D application for any appreciable amount of time.

has it been fixed in 4.0, I’ve been using 3.6 and I’ve tried out 4.0 but I didn’t like how I’m forced to search or dig through categories to find modifiers or nodes in the shader editor so I went back to 3.6.4

Nope.

And likely never will be. Geo Nodes are the solution that is advised now.

There’s of course no “Bend Preset” in the Blender installation, but one can hope for “one day”. In the meantime, I recommend this node package:

You’ve find various deformers there.

1 Like

If I remember correctly geometry nodes are also applied as modifiers?

if not can their affects be applied to the mesh to deform it permanantly?

Yes, you can apply (aka flatten) a geonode.

as I’m looking at this I’m wondering if one could use them for retopology.

I think it would be incredibly convoluted but if one could set up a geonode system for auto retopo it would be pretty nice

After eating fresh (roasted) chicken, the obvious question is: why are you not just modeling the blade ??? :man_shrugging:t4:
Its just a sword blade, one of the most basic things in 3D.
Stop mucking about with modifiers and just make it.

1 Like

Ohh… yess the Simple Deform modifer… i mostly do not use it… or have to look it up again…

because I’d have better control over the curve of the blade if I use a modifier.

thank you I’ll check this out