Simple Questions Answered. Got a question?

First of all, congrats, this is a great idea for a thread(STICKY) but…
Ive got a question that isnt on there, and I know I asked it when I started up:
Q: Ive got the logic bricks all set up to control my little ‘insert lame car name here’ but it goes thru the obstacles Ive created around the track. How do I fix this?
A: For the Object, turn on bounding set to box. For the Obstacle, Turn on Bounding, set it to Static Triangle mesh.
Im pretty sure thats what you do.

I got the asnswer pretty quick, but I had to ask around a bit.
peace
Drew

I’ve got one, so please hear me out.

I’ve got the Toon Shader from the GE demos, I’ve ripped it off the file and put into my work (i.e a cube, a lamp and a camera :stuck_out_tongue: ). I create an empty just like in the demo, and I replace the part where it says:

ShaderObjects = [objects[“Cube”]]

I then select the empty, attach an always sensor to a python actuator (“Shader.txt” for this example) and lo and behold, when I press p, it doesn’t work.

Interestingly enough, when I made a simple cube in the demo, it run with the shader automatically.

The console simply says: "KeyError: “‘Cube’’ no in list.”

What am I doing wrong? PLEASE HELP!! :frowning:

Hmm, I really don’t mess around with shaders all that much (my card can’t handle it), but try this: ShaderObjects = [objects[“OBCube”]]

No, I don’t have edit rights. I would like to though, since I have several tutorials scattered all over the forums. Also, I’m looking for a way to centralize any additional documentation/tutorials I may write in the future.

I find a few things confusing about the wiki, like where exactly would my tutorials be, in which section?

I mean Mal’s tutorial is great, but where in all that would my BGE python tutorial really fit?

Social, nvm, that user is not there anymore… maybe he changed it… I just thought it was kinda weird.

Erm… I’m quite sure I saw a guy with a cowboy hat named “Social” on the Elderscrolls forums… (No joke here )

Do you like have a stalker or something?

see? I am not crazy… just my sense of reality is distorted beyond reason…

Social has a twin…

This is some really disturbing stuff here. Guys, if you could do me a favor and confront theese people, I would be really greatefull.

Ask them why they are so fascinated with me. I mean this is really bizzare.

or is it the other way around >.>

the twin has a social … ? jk

Social - I think the main Game Engine wiki would be the best place for all your information.

http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_the_Game_Engine

The best place to go is IRC #blenderwiki and ask there for rights. You may need to show them some links to the info you have done here. I think they will give you access, you have some good advice to give.

Why not put it in the Noob to Pro? That’s where a lot of the noobs go and you don’t need edit rights.

:slight_smile:
Two questions.

1. I have two scenes and on one scene I have some objects on layer 2. On the second scene I have an empty on a grassy field in layer 1. Scene one is named Object, scene two is named Scene. I want to know how to copy an object from scene “Object” to scene “Scene”.

2. Is there a way for an object to get it’s own name without knowing it’s own name. The copied objects are named different from the origanals and I want the object to rename itself without me having to put in it’s name.

1. Press Ctrl + L and choose your scene, then go to the scene you moved the object to and press U and select make single user.

2.?

I have a scene that is creating objects with the Edit Object actuator.

It’s for an ATC type simulator, each object is a plane(flight), I need to keep track of it’s name, altitude, spd, heading.

I then want to be able to pick one of the objects (flights) with the mouse using a LMB/RMB/MMB, and assign / change properties to the indiviual object

I created the “seed” object and put it on a hidden layer, and created properties for it.

When I create objects in the game however, it seems that when I assign a new value to the property, all objects are getting the same values for the property, i.e I’m not getting instances created with the Edit Object actuator, but duplicates.

How do I create unique identifiable objects ?

Otherwise, I guess a crude way (the only way?) is to create as many unique objects as I think I’ll need and use separate Edit Object actuators for them? Ugly, but it will probably work.

Also, the only way I could figure out how to call a script when an object is picked, is to combine a Mouse(RMB) with a Mousover connected to an AND controller which triggers a message, then have a message sensor with the correspoinding message fire off the python script. Is that the only / cleanest way of calling a script when an object is picked with the mouse?

If I connect the MouseOver and Mouse(RMB) sensors to the python controller it gets called when either the MouseOver OR the RMB event occurs.

Mike

How can I put camera so, it won’t rotate when it is following an object? I’m using actuators for following camera.

This will answer your question.

No it didn’t, i dont want it to roll like that.(When you stop pressing, it stops immeadedly.)
If I understood that coddectly, presing up will move camera AND ball at same time. I want that camera follows ball, and it’s moving is limited so it doesn’t rotate.

1 Like

To Social:
I attempted to hunt down “Social” On the elderscrolls forums (I play oblivion, although i haven’t until now registered there)
Turns out there’s no one, i searched in the memberlist and they were all like:
“Social Security”
and
“Social Baby” or something.
Sorry for being off-topic. I’ll continue the hunt on the portalforums… Sneaks off

EDIT: There’s no one named “Social” on the Portal forums either. Seems like someone’s making crap up.
sorry to dissapoint you if you wanted to be like: All famous and stuff…

yeah, the social that was there is no longer there, BUT THERE WAS A SOCIAL!

And I will find him!

How do you import multiple .obj files at once? Then how do you apply each object to its own frame?