SimpleBake - Simple Pbr And Other Baking In Blender

Thank you :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply in Blender Market. I bought the add-on.

1 Like

What should I do to bake an object that was already baked anyway?
I guess this is implemented to prevent mistakes, but I need to bake it again after some texture painting.

When I bake with ‘Export bakes’ enabled, images are packed into blend file instead of linked to the exported file. Shouldn’t it be the other way around?

It is to prevent mistakes as you suggest. Can you go into more detail about your workflow here? I can’t quite follow the need to re-bake the object.

Hmm that’s a good point. I made some big changes for the recent update that allowed background baking, and I think I might have made it so all images are packed by default. I think you are right, in that externally saved images should not be packed. I’ll take a look at this.

1 Like

Right, version 4.8.7 should squish that bug. Sorry about that.

Images should be packed when not exporting, but should refer to the external file when exporting. This bug crept in when I was making the background bake changes. Thank you for reporting it.

1 Like

Thank you. I decided this was needed early on as I kept making tweaks and changes and was sending out emails to everyone every few days. I expected people were going to accuse me of spam.

This way I can keep making minor changes and improvements and it can be auto-updated with ease.

My workflow is quite specific I guess. I got some bad quality models with messy UVs that I have to merge to a single object as a first step, then bake it to get a single nice UV generated by Smart UV Project, then I need to split that single object into several smaller ones, and finally bake all smaller ones to keep only a part of textures they need.
I already found that deleting custom property ‘SB_createdfrom’ lets me bake it again. Won’t that lead to any issues if I do so?

Thank you!

Crafty! :smile:

To be totally honest I don’t know. I don’t think it will cause issues, but I can’t remember exactly what I was trying to address when I added that. I think it was just to avoid confusing more novice users, so you might be fine.

I will do some experiments tomorrow. See if there is a better way of handling that.

In version 4.8.9 of SimpleBake released today I have reintroduced the ability to re-bake already baked objects. I have also hopefully mitigated the small issues that doing this would sometimes cause. I hope that helps.

1 Like

Fantastic. Thank you!

Is the addon working in Blender 2.9.1?

Yep. To my knowledge, it works fine in the latest version of Blender. Does for me, and not had any complaints.

Hey @Belistner, are we any closer to UDIM support in Simplebake?

Hey. In a word, no. SimpleBake won’t support baking to UDIMs until Blender supports baking to UDIMs - it doesn’t currently. There are manual workarounds, but nothing I could really put into a script.

I got an issue on Blender 2.8x. Tested with addon version 4.9.3 and 5.0.0
Baking on GPU throws following error:
CUDA error: Out of memory in cuLaunchKernel(cuShader, xblocks, 1, 1, threads_per_block, 1, 1, 0, 0, args, 0), line 2171
Baking the same object with the same settings works fine on Blender 2.91. It seems to be scene/object specific, default cube bakes as expected.

There are issues with baking and OptiX (in Blender, generally), if you are using that.

That error is a Blender/CUDA problem.

Changed my mind - basic UDIMs support will be coming to SimpleBake very soon.

I have previously looked at this, and the only way to do it is a bit of a hack. As such, I would have preferred to wait for Blender to support it natively (which I have to believe is going to happen at some point).

However, I’m confident that I’ve got it working reasonably well, so UDIMs are coming to SimpleBake shortly, albeit with an “Alpha” warning.

1 Like

UDIM support is now here.

Use with caution for now. Report any bugs/feedback via Blender Market.

Thanks all!

1 Like

Hey @Belistner
Thank you for your addon
I’m using it very often and it’s a huge time saver!
Is it possible to add Baking Lightmap possibility (probability with denoising)
To bake only shadows and lights for all selected meshes, without textures and reflections.
That will be super cool
Here is a video which represents this process:

Thank you!

1 Like

Hey @Belistner ,
Not sure if anyone else would find it helpful, but I got a feature idea.
I need to bake different resolutions for diffuse and roughness (applicable for any map) and it would be very handy to be able to set resolution per map type (as an option). Would it be possible without cluttering UI too much?