Sintel Reimagined (2023)

Introduction:
I wanted to prove The Vitruvian Project can make great characters, So I decided to make a character in the spirit of Blender, and what immediately came to mind was Sintel. I didn’t have access to Blender Cloud and I only found textures for the original by the end of the texturing stage so I had to guess a lot.

I used an earlier version of Sintel that was featured on the Durian production blog.
Sintel although it was impressive for 2010’s Blender and was a massive technological leap it didn’t compete with other productions from mainstream entertainment, (ex. Durian’s very primitive hair system which would get a massive upgrade for Gooseberry). That changed with 2.8’s short but Sintel has still some of the most creativity in a Blender Production. Despite the issues with the old Hair system, I find it preferable and more intuitive, in every regard except grooming.

I mixed the Vitruvian textures with Digital Emily at around 50% opacity Base color, Bump and roughness are Vitruvian. The textures are very presentable without Digital Emily however.

Final

Reference:

I didn’t have Scales or the spear to update or the Ishtar environment so I had to reconstruct the Place using assets from the ill-fated Sintel BGE game. Which had interesting techniques to accommodate the fact that BGE was massively outdated. such as using Material slots to fake AO.

I used a bunch of Polyhaven and AmbientCG textures and models to populate the scene. I used Physical Atmosphere and Starlight to light the scene, because although PolyHaven HDRIs are insanely good they don’t have arbitrary sun positions, which was necessary to get the look of the final render.

The only textures i used from Sintel was her Tattoo which i used GIMP and Free SVG tracing programs to get a high quality SVG to use in Substance Painter. (She should get a refund for the Tattoo!)

Render Passes:

W.I.P (Descending Chronological Order)

4 Likes

This is cool, a reimagining of an old character.

However I feel like the proportions are from 3 different people of different weight class. I did a quick proportions test to see if it makes more sense:
Untitled-1

Great stuff :+1:

2 Likes

Maybe, though I think I was satisfied with the anatomy. Maybe a smaller waistline but I can easily fix that in vitruvian

I featured you on BlenderNation, have a great weekend!