Skeletal animations question

Hi everyone,

I am brand new to the forums with no public posts yet whatsoever and so cannot create my own topic yet on any of the subforums like “Support”, “Artwork”, etc, but I do have life experience using Blender since 2018.

I am having trouble with implementing skeletal animations for a Sandy Cheeks player model for a fan game I am making.

I made sure to double and triple check that I understood correctly that when you are weight painting bones, dark blue means “no influence by the current bone selected”, while red means “maximum influence by the current bone selected”, yet when I go to pose mode and move the bones, I get areas that are marked as blue moved, and things that are marked as red completely unmoved/unaffected.

This is using Blender 2.92.

Does anyone know what else I am doing wrong?

The link to the ZIP of my blender project for everyone’s convenience is to be copy pasted in your browser of choice, because I cannot link or upload directly as an absolute newcomer:

https://drive .google.com/file/d/1RpD_RB_kfxXhym5I9Zc9CSVxknUDBVaK/view?usp=sharing

Before pasting, get rid of the space after “drive” to make the link work.

Your account has no limitations - please don’t post randomly in other places but select the right subcategory first. I moved this post to Animation and Rigging

To start off, your Blender version is very old - is there a specific reason for that?

Hi, looking at your file your mesh is not suitable for animations it will not deform properly. also the wights are not distributed properly the head bone is not covering the head mesh.

Your rig is also un usable too many bones.
Try this basic tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkiWBSSuxLw

Okay, awesome!

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice, and I will definitely be excited about what my mesh will look like after I have made it the correct way.

I imported an .OBJ file from another file rather than creating the mesh from the ground up - however, because it worked very well on other meshes I don’t believe that is what is wrong, it’s probably just too many bones and the weights aren’t distributed properly.